Practical Strategies for Enhancing STEM Learning in Your Classroom (Grades K-6)
Presented by Marjorie Porter
Specifically Designed for K-6 Classroom Teachers, Science, Technology, and Mathematics Specialists, Instructional Coaches, and Administrators
- Proven strategies for enhancing instruction in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics in grades K-6
- Timesaving links, tips and tools for cultivating a student-centered, inquiry-focused STEM classroom
- Useful evidence-based practices for “STEMifying” existing lessons
- Receive an extensive resource handbook filled with dozens of ready-to-use ideas and instructional tools to make your classroom “STEM-savvy”
Practical Ideas and Strategies
In this highly engaging, interactive seminar, you will learn innovative strategies to strengthen your STEM instruction. STEM is the integration of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics to change the way students think, approach ideas, solve problems, research, plan, and execute a design process. Marjorie Porter, outstanding presenter and STEM educator, will give you a wealth of innovative ideas for incorporating STEM instruction into your K-6 classroom.
You will discover how to integrate the content areas, use teamwork, inquiry, discussion, tap into technology, and seek real-world applications to fully engage your students. In addition, you will gain tips to help students learn to analyze their work, utilize their strengths, step out of their comfort zones, and take risks for greater achievement. Dozens of practical, free to low-cost resources will be shared along with project ideas, multi-dimensional lessons and activities, and assessment strategies where students can creatively show what they know.
Whether you are a beginning or veteran STEM educator, you will leave this dynamic seminar with new insights, practical strategies and an extensive resource handbook filled with practical ideas for enhancing STEM learning in your K-6 classroom. Expand your world of STEM instruction and watch your students’ motivation and confidence soar!
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Useful and Effective Strategies for Enhancing STEM Instruction in Your K-6 Classroom
Acquire practical and budget-friendly strategies for enhancing your existing units and lessons with STEM topics … Discover numerous ways to actively engage your students in a range of hands-on activities and lesson plans that incorporate all four STEM disciplines
- “STEM-Up” Your Teaching Without Recreating What You Already Do
Learn mechanisms for using STEM-focused instructional techniques to encourage a learner-centered and activity-based classroom that will result in greater retention of knowledge and skills
- Engage Your Students in Real-World Problem Solving Involving STEM Skills and Concepts
Discover creative and meaningful ways to implement project based learning (PBL) … Help your students focus on solving relevant and authentic problems using a multi-discipline approach
- Involve Your Students in Authentic Inquiry – Key in STEM Competencies
Encourage your students to be active and innovative participants in inquiry-based classroom learning … Exemplary strategies to help students develop and refine high-quality questions and support scientific claims with evidence
- Tap into Highly Effective and Engaging Technology Tools
Excellent websites, apps and tools to help your students become active and engaged in all four STEM disciplines … Valuable resources for strengthening student awareness of and interest in STEM careers
- Discover Key Components of Using “Phenomena” in STEM Learning, Outlined in the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)
Develop tools for incorporating modeling as a mechanism for “3 Dimensional Learning” … Practice techniques for facilitating the construction of STEM knowledge using the NGSS practices
- Integrate Specific Design Protocols to Create Outstanding STEM Lessons
Learn how the engineering design cycle can enhance existing STEM units … Incorporate classroom-proven strategies to help students embrace the design process as they work and think in collaborative groups
- Learn Key Strategies for Strengthening STEM Learning
Deepen and enhance student understanding of core science concepts through collaborative problem-solving strategies … Help your students learn how to build upon their existing knowledge by immersing them in exploration … Energize all learners through active teamwork and discovery
- Receive Timesaving Tips for Assessing STEM Achievement
Discover where to find assessment resources that will allow you to monitor student learning throughout a project or unit … Get access to rubrics and other evaluation tools and templates
- Receive an Extensive STEM Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive the extensive resource handbook designed specifically for this seminar that is filled with dozens of ideas and strategies for incorporating STEM lessons into grades K-6 classrooms
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Effective approaches to successfully integrate STEM into your existing K-6 units and lessons
- Practical tips and tools for using technology to create highly motivating STEM learning experiences
- Timesaving resources for building progressive monitoring assessments that measure deeper learning
- Numerous STEM lessons and ideas that encourage creativity and invention in your classroom, without the need to purchase costly equipment or materials
- Proven methods for immersing students in exciting STEM design scenarios that will energize and motivate them
- A multitude of useful and valuable classroom-ready ideas to encourage science inquiry through challenging, team-based learning experiences
- Outstanding, step-by-step examples of how to develop authentic, research-based instructional strategies that model real-world STEM skills
- Useful applications and web resources that will motivate and inspire your students in science, technology, engineering, and math
- Detailed guidelines for integrating open-ended, problem-solving activities that embrace the NGSS Science and Engineering Practices
- Strategies to foster and maintain your students’ interest in STEM careers
- Unique ideas for incorporating “phenomena” as a way to strengthen collaborative skills among your students and facilitate the co-construction of knowledge
- Ideas for integrating highly effective and relevant project based learning (PBL) experiences into your existing curricular units
- How to access exceptional cutting-edge resources to embrace the design process as a teaching and learning tool
- A wealth of ideas and ready-to-use activities that will enhance and energize STEM learning in your classroom
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
I applaud your passion and enthusiasm for incorporating STEM into what is, without doubt, an already overcrowded curriculum! Like you, I consider the science and engineering practices such as modeling, investigating, analyzing, and supporting claims with evidence to be at the heart of STEM learning. Today’s K-6 teachers are on the front lines of an educational movement that is absolutely critical to health, economy and security in the U.S.
Schools are expected to take considerable steps toward preparing a STEM workforce that will promote prosperity and innovation. How can you encourage your students to pursue STEM careers? Where will you find the time and resources necessary to research and integrate STEM-based strategies? In what ways can you implement STEM tactics to have the greatest impact on learning, without adding more to your plate? I will provide dozens of strategies to help you address these questions!
During this strategy-packed seminar, I will share effective instructional ideas that are certain to energize and motivate your students by integrating science, technology, engineering, and math. I will also demonstrate ways to employ practical STEM teaching tools, such as “talk moves,” “project based learning” and “engineering design” that will make you less of an “instructor” and more of a classroom “facilitator.”
This fast-paced seminar will help you to “STEM-up” your teaching without having to reinvent the wheel. You will leave feeling empowered to embrace STEM in your classroom!
P.S. You will leave this seminar inspired and enthused with ready-to-infuse, innovative STEM techniques for your current instructional approaches, along with a resource handbook to help you when you return to your classroom!
Who Should Attend
K-6 Classroom Teachers, Science, Technology, and Mathematics Specialists, Instructional Coaches, and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Specific guidelines to STEM-up your existing lessons with the latest technology tools
- Classroom-ready ideas for strengthening your students’ design, problem-solving and invention skills
- Dozens of online curricular resources that will enhance your existing STEM repertoire
- Strategy-focused demonstrations of how science, technology, engineering, and math are woven together to increase student learning
- Exciting and easy-to-follow strategies for incorporating STEM activities that will complement national science and engineering standards
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in strategies to enhance their STEM programs.
Marjorie Porter will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own STEM program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.