Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
Helping Students Master the NEXT GENERATION SCIENCE STANDARDS: Best High-Interest, Hands-On Activities (Grades 6-12)
Presented by Brian Rohrig
Specifically Designed for Science Educators Serving Grades 6-12: Classroom Teachers, Department Heads, Science Specialists, and Administrators
- Innovative ways to more deeply incorporate the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) into your existing science curriculum
- Practical ideas for making science and engineering practices an integral part of your science program
- Dozens of low-cost, no-cost labs, demonstrations and projects designed to create a phenomena-based classroom that will help your students master the Next Generation Science Standards
- Research-based strategies to promote deep understanding of disciplinary core ideas and improve student achievement in science
Practical Ideas and Strategies
This NEW seminar is designed to provide you with a host of practical hands-on activities that will enable you to meet and exceed the Next Generation Science Standards. During this fast-paced workshop, you will experience a variety of labs, demonstrations and other activities that are designed to grab your students’ attention while illustrating key NGSS concepts.
Award-winning science teacher, master demonstrator and prolific science author Brian Rohrig will draw on more than 25 years of classroom experience to present the very best time-tested activities to help your students better understand the NGSS core concepts. You will learn a variety of practical techniques designed to make sure your students come away with a deeper understanding of the core ideas of the NGSS.
Most of the activities presented are easily doable with readily available materials, so you won’t break your budget. Whether you’re a veteran or a brand new science teacher, you will leave this seminar with a host of new and innovative activities that will help your students master the NGSS.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- More Effectively Incorporate the Next Generation Science Standards into Your Existing Curriculum
Increase your understanding of the guiding philosophy of the NGSS and how you can immediately begin tailoring your existing curriculum to meet the new standards with a minimum of effort
- Create a Phenomena-Based Classroom
Receive dozen of ideas for unique and innovative labs that stress inquiry and promote deep thinking
- Use Modeling to Incorporate Inquiry in Your Classroom
Learn modeling strategies that will enable you to guide your students into the discovery of new knowledge by incorporating a variety of inquiry-based practices
- Take Home NGSS-Aligned 3D Lessons You Can Use Immediately
Fully developed and field-tested, inquiry-based lessons that center around phenomena â€¦ Ready for you to use in your own science classroom
- Use Anchoring Phenomena to Capture Your Students’ Attention and Stimulate Their Thought Processes
Receive numerous ideas for enlivening your science classroom with activities that will engage the minds and bodies of your students
- Make Science and Engineering Practices an Integral Part of Your Curriculum
Receive dozens of ideas for student projects that will enable your students to develop and carry out their own investigations
- Develop Assessment Questions That Will Incorporate the Principles of Three-Dimensional Learning
Learn a proven step-by-step method for writing test questions that will ensure your students are truly mastering core concepts
- Learn Effective Ways to Develop Critical Thinking Skills in Your Students
Explore numerous strategies designed to ensure your students are learning core concepts on a deep and meaningful level
- Develop Strategies That Will Enable You to Teach Your Curriculum as an Integrated Whole by Utilizing Crosscutting Concepts
Discover innovative ways to connect the topics in your curriculum to prior knowledge
- Receive an Extensive NGSS Activities Resource Handbook
Receive a detailed handbook filled with hundreds of ideas for labs, demos, projects, activities and other tips that will help you to help your students master the NGSS
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Practical and easy-to-implement ways to align your current curriculumwith the NGSS
- Dozens of low-cost demos that will engage your students
- Numerous inquiry-based labsdesigned to illustrate the disciplinary core ideas of the NGSS
- Creative and innovative projects that utilize crosscutting concepts
- Effective use of analogies to illustrate key concepts
- Strategies to help your students improve their critical thinking skills by developing and using models
- Innovativeactivities to facilitate scientific argumentation
- How to make sure your students are learning disciplinary core ideas at the deepest leveland not just “going through the motions”
- Step-by-step instructions on how to design test questions that will assess your students’ understanding of the NGSS core concepts at the deepest level
- Engaging activities that will build teamworkand create a positive science classroom environment
- Ways to effectively incorporate the engineering design process into your classroom
- Numerous attention-grabbing demonstrations to “hook” your students
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
The Next Generation Science Standards can seem daunting at first glance. In this unique seminar, I will break them down and demonstrate that they are actually very teacher-friendly and leave plenty of room for teacher autonomy and creativity. I will show how incorporating the Next Generation Science Standards can add depth and enrichment to any curriculum.
As a teacher, my passion has always been to provide an exciting hands-on atmosphere where science would daily come alive for my students. I see the science classroom as a magical place, where students can be inspired to explore the natural world. Throughout the course of the year, I perform hundreds of demonstrations and have my students do dozens of labs - I have taken the very best of these and condensed them into a one-day seminar that will help strengthen your students’ understanding of core NGSS.
I have learned, however, that being a great science teacher is much more than just doing flashy demos or having the students do fun labs. My goal is not only to have my students fall in love with science, but to also make sure they are learning core concepts at the most fundamental level, leaving my classroom with a deep understanding of key ideas. My labs and demos are specifically designed to help students master these fundamental concepts. Interwoven throughout will be practical ways to make sure your curriculum is rewarding, relevant and rigorous. We will discover ways to develop an inquiry-based classroom where students are encouraged to think critically and to develop their curiosity.
I am confident you will walk away from this seminar with a host of new ideas that will engage and motivate your students to master the NGSS. I look forward to meeting you at the seminar.
P.S. My students frequently come back and tell me how much they enjoyed my class and how prepared they were for their next science course. I am excited to share with you the principles that have proven to be the most effective in engaging my students in the NGSS.
Who Should Attend
Science Educators Serving Grades 6-12: Classroom Teachers, Department Heads, Science Specialists, and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Science Instruction Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive NGSS instruction resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Detailed instructions for performing a variety of innovative labs and demos
- Numerous ideas for inquiry-based projects
- Extensive listing of print and web resources
- Detailed strategies to enhance students’ critical thinking skills
- Dozens of ideas and techniques to help students learn at the deepest level
Meet and Share
with Other Science Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in strengthening their students' understanding of core concepts in the NGSS.
Brian Rohrig will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own science program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you’ll be fully satisfied or you’ll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.