Increasing Student Mastery of the NEXT GENERATION SCIENCE STANDARDS Through Practical Implementation of Crosscutting Concepts and Science & Engineering Practices (Grades 6-12)
Presented by Marquita Blades
Specifically Designed for Educators Who Teach Science in Grades 6-12: Classroom Teachers, Department Heads, Science Specialists, and Administrators
- Discover powerful ways to more easily and effectively incorporate the Next Generation Science Standardsinto your existing science program
- Classroom-tested strategies, lessons and techniques to promote student mastery across grade levels and disciplinary core ideas
- Maximize 3-dimensional science learning with practical resources, lessons and strategies for making best use of crosscutting concepts and science & engineering practices in your existing lessons
- Proven techniques and strategies to strengthen student collaboration, critical thinking, motivation, engagement, and mastery of the NGSS
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Join award-winning secondary science teacher, Marquita Blades for an engaging, interactive day full of valuable, practical, use-tomorrow strategies to help your students master the Next Generation Science Standards. This NEW seminar emphasizes highly practical ways to leverage the crosscutting concepts and science & engineering practices to increase student engagement and mastery of disciplinary core ideas in the NGSS.
This need not mean starting over, starting from scratch or throwing out what you currently do. Marquita will show you how to make powerful and subtle tweaks to your current practices to create an interactive, successful 3-dimensional NGSS science classroom that supports rigorous and relevant investigations, strengthens academic discourse and reinforces the fundamentals of scientific inquiry.
Gain strategies to enhance successful collaborative learning while reinforcing essential inquiry, research and problem-solving skills. Acquire essential strategies to help your students master and apply disciplinary core ideas. Come and discover the best, most current ways to help students master the NGSS by powerfully leveraging crosscutting concepts and science & engineering practices in your 3D science classroom.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Unleash 3-Dimensional Learning and Increase Mastery of the NGSS
Learn from an award-winning secondary science teacher and national presenter about essential ways to leverage crosscutting concepts and science & engineering practices … Increase student mastery of NGSS and disciplinary core ideas
- Engage Your Students in Activities That Strengthen Collaboration
Learn outstanding ways to maximize student mastery of NGSS by promoting sense-making and collaboration
- Increase the Use of Academic Discourse with Disciplinary Core Ideas
Help students in your 3-dimensional classroom develop the key vocabulary required to discuss concepts scientifically … Discover practical ways to increase the use of academic discourse to strengthen NGSS learning
- Use Phenomena to Boost Student Mastery of Core Disciplinary Ideas
Discover outstanding ways to expose grades 6-12 students to multiple content areas simultaneously by focusing on real-world phenomena
- Increase Student Engagement in Your 3D Science Classroom
Discover classroom-proven strategies that encourage student participation and collaboration … Proven ways to engage even students who lack motivation or interest in science
- Create a Highly Effective 3-Dimensional Learning Environment
Learn practical methods for incorporating all three dimensions of the Next Generation Science Standards into your existing instruction and program … You need not start from scratch – discover ways to tweak what you are already doing
- Boost Scientific Inquiry and Research Practices
Learn highly effective ways you can structure and facilitate rich student inquiry using crosscutting concepts and science & engineering practices
- Help Students Develop Strong Problem-Solving Skills
Powerful ways you can use the 3-dimensional learning framework to help students demonstrate mastery of the NGSS … Discover strategies that challenge students to analyze, question and communicate at higher levels
- Create a Rigorous, Student-Centered Science Classroom
Acquire strategies that encourage students to take greater ownership of challenging concepts … Discover highly effective ways to enable and empower your students to “drive” their own NGSS learning
- Receive an Extensive NGSS Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook filled with practical ideas, tips and tools for helping your grades 6-12 science students master NGSS skills and concepts
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Highly effective ways to promote mastery of the NGSS using the 3-dimensional learning framework
- Powerful strategies to reinforce the key fundamentals of scientific inquiry and research with the science & engineering standards and crosscutting concepts
- Innovative strategies that can be used in any grades 6-12 science classroom with any disciplinary core ideas
- Effective ways to strengthen student engagement and collaboration
- Practical strategies to personalize learning using the 3-dimensional learning framework of NGSS
- Outstanding methods to use the claims, evidence, reasoning (CER) framework to strengthen students’ critical thinking and written expression of NGSS skills in any lesson
- Highly effective ways to maximize students’ critical-thinking and problem-solving skills
- Proven and time-efficient strategies for differentiation and personalized learning
- Innovative methods to ensure students master and build upon disciplinary core ideas
- Strengthen student understanding of complex science phenomena using the crosscutting concepts
- Proven methods to significantly increase student motivation in learning science
- Practical ways to leverage the science & engineering practices to strengthen the impact of your instruction in meeting your individual students’ needs
- Specific methods to capture and retain students’ focus on learning science in ways that significantly boost achievement
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
The Next Generation Science Standards have introduced sweeping changes to our traditional science instructional practices. A significant change involves incorporating the crosscutting concepts and science & engineering practices as a key focus of our educational strategy and practice. These two dimensions guide the bulk of our work within the three-dimensional approach of the NGSS – no matter what content we teach. But without focused direction and resources, it can be overwhelming.
I look forward to welcoming you for a day that will be filled with a wealth of outstanding, practical, take-right-back-to-your-classroom strategies you can use to significantly increase excitement and achievement among your grades 6-12 science students. This need not mean starting over, starting from scratch or throwing out what you currently do. I will share highly effective ways you can tweak and greatly enhance what you’re already doing in your science program to powerfully incorporate the 3-dimensions of the NGSS.
In our day together, I will share a wealth of proven strategies, tips and techniques to help you easily plan high impact 3D instruction for your grades 6-12 science students. I will equip you with dozens of strategies for using NGSS to increase mastery of core disciplinary ideas. Best of all, I will show you how to take what you are already doing and apply the 3D learning model in powerful ways, by leveraging crosscutting concepts and science & engineering practices. All the strategies I will share are ones that I and other teachers I’ve worked with have found to be most successful in increasing rigor, engagement and mastery of NGSS with our own students.
I promise that our day will be fun, engaging and full of many great use-tomorrow strategies to support your students’ mastery of NGSS. I look forward to meeting you at the seminar!
Dr. Marquita Blades
P.S. This is not just another PD! Come prepared to roll up your sleeves and get busy as we work through these strategies, just as you will be using them with your students!
Who Should Attend
Educators who Teach Science in Grades 6-12: Classroom Teachers, Department Heads, Science Specialists, and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive NGSS Resource Handbook
Each seminar participant will receive an extensive resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. Included in the handbook are:
- Innovative ideas for adapting common lessons and/or lab investigations for use with each strategy
- Cross-content ideas and strategies that integrate easily and well with NGSS
- Recommended resources for standards-based and personalized learning/differentiation
- Powerful sample lesson outlines to assist you with planning
- Helpful templates you can adapt and use immediately
- Practical tools for assessing student mastery of concepts
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a great opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in increasing student mastery of core disciplinary ideas through practical, consistent implementation of crosscutting concepts and science & engineering standards.
Dr. Marquita Blades will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own science program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.