Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
What's New in Children's Literature: 2021 (Grades K-6)
Presented by Jonathan Hunt
Totally NEW Seminar with All NEW Titles for the Year 2021 Designed for Grades K-6
- The best, new books most recently published, matched with dozens of innovative, engaging strategies to use them in ALL areas of your program – whether you are teaching at school or online
- A lively, fast-paced presentation with a wealth of multi-format titles that will spark students' interest in standout stories and nonfiction they will love to read
- Receive an extensive, ALL NEW digital children's books resource handbook with comprehensive, annotated bibliographies, ready-to-use activities, and corresponding websites that will make new books come alive for children in highly appealing ways!
Practical Ideas and Strategies
This highly engaging seminar will highlight the best, NEWLY published children's books, including picture books, chapter books, novels, graphic novels, folklore, poetry, nonfiction titles, and more! Your instructors read and evaluate each new children's book, then develop fresh, innovative ideas to use them in all areas of your curriculum. As a bonus, they also find the best, new web tools and apps to pair with the books they share. Many of the ideas, apps and online resources are applicable to other books as well. This way, you can pick and choose the new books and activities that are best suited to your students and the priorities of your classroom or library. You'll also learn great ways to use technology to extend your interactions with readers about books in ways they love to learn.
Join us for a compelling day filled with engaging, ready-to-use ideas, highly appealing booklists, a comprehensive digital handbook, and unique teaching tips to introduce and fully extend learning based on the newest, most outstanding children's books. Engage yourself in an energizing celebration of the best new books and powerful ways to use them with your students!
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Preview the Best, New Children's Books!
Learn from an enthusiastic teacher and experienced school librarian about the BEST of the most recently published children's books ideal for use at school or online
- Explore the Bright, New World of Nonfiction Books
Publishers are aware of the current emphasis on informational books and are responding with some of the best new nonfiction books we've seen in years … Learn about the recent changes and discover some phenomenal new books!
- See the Best, New Picture Books … For All Ages!
Nothing tells a story like a stunning picture book and you will explore the newest and best ones … Learn innovative ways to use them creatively throughout your curriculum or program with readers of all ages
- Hear About the Best, New Read-Alouds
Entice your students or patrons with the latest and most engaging read-alouds … We will refresh your collection of great read-alouds and share them with you in a lively, down-to-earth style
- Tap into the Best Technology to Get More from Great New Books
Strengthen your technology strategies that involve your readers … From book trailers to interaction tools, we have done the work for you by evaluating the best digital tools and resources – whether you are teaching at school or online
- Discover Strategies to Link Great New Books with Reading and Writing
Explore terrific activities and practical strategies you can use immediately to entice your readers to get involved in and stay excited about reading and writing
- Catch Up on the Most Current Book Trends
Hear the latest news from the children's book publishing world … Learn about the new and developing trends so you can keep ahead of the game
- Use Outstanding New Books to Implement Your State Standards
Learn how to meet your state reading standards by introducing your students to outstanding new books … Find out easy ways to match books to curriculum standards with supportive, ready-to-use lesson plans – no matter what subject area you teach
- Address Diversity and Inclusion with New Books and Awards
Discover books with diverse characters that allow your readers to see themselves in the literature … Hear about the awards that celebrate diversities in culture, ethnicity and ability
- Books They Will Love to Read!
Discover NEW books that are sure to entice young readers and captivate their diverse interests … Plus, you'll receive an extensive DIGITAL resource handbook with active links, annotated booklists and loaded with hundreds of engaging tips, tools and innovative ideas
What You Will Learn …
- The best new books and dozens of highly engaging, practical strategies to fully involve students in the books they'll love to read – whether you are teaching at school or online
- Proven ways to integrate the best, new books into your curriculum or program
- Highly motivating websites, apps and online resources to pair with the most outstanding new books
- How to use terrific new books that connect with your state standards
- Tips and demonstrations for delivering read-alouds with energy and enthusiasm
- How to connect to authors and illustrators with little or no budget
- Practical strategies for interactive teaching using new apps and websites
- Highly motivating ways to use the best new picture books in your teaching
- Hot new ways to use booktalks to sell a book
- Multi-format digital resources for supporting online learning
- Practical, exciting ideas to use new books to engage all readers—regardless of ability
- Proven ways to instill a real love of literature in your students
- How to choose the best, new books even with the leanest budget
- Resources for discovering potentially sensitive areas in books
- A wealth of new books, ready-to-use tools and the best, new digital resources to make reading instruction come alive
- Boundless ways to rediscover your love of children's books all over again!
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
How do you manage to find the best titles to meet the needs of your readers while supporting your curriculum? Which books best support your programming? Thousands of books are published yearly. So many books, so little time! Perhaps I have the answer—a day filled with hot-off-the-press books for grades K-6.
Every year I read hundreds of new books, selecting the best books your readers will most enjoy. There is a wealth of new literature this year, with new authors, new illustrators and new titles that will grab your imagination. If you don’t create your wish list during the seminar, I imagine you’ll stop by the bookstore on your way home! And you’ll be loaded with ideas to use the next day.
Our NEW live online seminar offers hundreds of titles for grades K-6 in many reading levels, subject areas and interests. It’s important for a child to see himself—and others in what he reads, so I will look at new diverse and #OwnVoice titles. From wordless books to chapter books and graphic novels to nonfiction, this year’s selections feature incredible debut authors and illustrators. Many of our favorite authors also published in 2020. And this year’s nonfiction is better than ever. Classroom and content area teachers—you will easily be able to incorporate these terrific books into your curriculum. No matter your literacy support role, you’ll also learn about ready-to-use resources that will help you teach the books or use them in your programming or class instruction. In many cases, the lesson plans and activity kits are already written for you!
In 2020, distance teaching became the new norm. In this year’s seminar, I will continue to hone our expertise in this method of instruction. I will also explore free online resources that enrich the reading experience and support your curriculum – whether you are teaching at school or online.
The accompanying digital handbook is far from being just a list of books; it’s full of support links you can read at your leisure. You’ll find yourself using your handbook long after we part.
Reading is fun and together we can create lifelong readers! I look forward to seeing you online at this fun and inspirational seminar where we will immerse ourselves in the amazing world of the best of new children’s literature!
P.S. Come ready to enjoy a fast-paced day full of outstanding new books—plus powerful tools and innovative activities to use with them.
Who Should Attend
K-6 Classroom Teachers, Media Specialists, Librarians, Children’s Librarians in Public Libraries, Library Aides, Reading Specialists, Resource Teachers, Special Education Staff, and Administrators Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Digital Children’s Books Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving access to countless strategies before, during and after the seminar. The handbook includes:
- A wealth of NEW titles of the best books recently published
- Exciting and creative ways to utilize the books in your classroom or library program
- Numerous practical activities and resources that extend the effectiveness of the new books shared whether you’re working at school or online
- Valuable lists of websites and tools to use with devices that will add interest and value to your lessons
- Highly engaging techniques to inspire students to fall in love with reading!
Jonathan Hunt will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.