The Best Young Children’s Books for Preschoolers and Kindergartners and How to Use Them to Strengthen Early Literacy Skills
Presented by Kristen Remenar
Specifically Designed for Teachers and Librarians Working with Preschool and Kindergarten Students
The best, new children’s books and cherished favorites with highly practical, ready-to-use ideas to strengthen the early literacy skills of preschool and kindergarten students
- Dozens of proven strategies to teach many of the Common Core State Standards in the reading strand
- A wealth of phonological awareness and print motivation strategies to enhance the literacy development of preschoolers and kindergartners
- Interactive, classroom-proven activities, songs, fingerplays, movement experiences, games, and teaching tips to meet the diverse needs of all your young learners
- Creative ways to revisit text that motivate young readers
- Annotated booklists, activities, bibliographies, and motivating ideas in an extensive early literacy resource handbook
Practical Ideas and Strategies
In this engaging, highly practical seminar created specifically for early childhood and kindergarten educators,
Kristen Remenar, children’s librarian and early childhood teacher, will share the best books for preschool and kindergarten students and dozens of interactive strategies to foster their love of reading.
From the “don’t‑miss” new titles to well-loved classics, you’ll find a wealth of annotated book lists to help bring great books into all areas of your curriculum. Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook filled with research-based activities and fun, creative, motivating ideas to teach seven of the Common Core State Standards in the reading strand. Extend and enrich the best read-aloud books with a multitude of classroom‑tested finger plays, songs, chants, games, and movement experiences.
Incorporate music, movement, and interaction into your lessons to teach phonemic awareness in the context of stories your preschoolers and kindergartners will love. You’ll find whole-class and small‑group activities designed to meet the diverse learning styles of all your students. Join Kristen and other kindergarten and early childhood educators for a fast-paced day filled with a wealth of the best young children’s books and ready‑to‑use tips and tools for using them to strengthen your reading program.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
Incorporate Dozens of New and Exemplary Books for Preschoolers and Kindergartners
Learn from an enthusiastic teacher and experienced children’s librarian about the best new books for preschoolers and kindergartners … From “don’t-miss” new titles to well-loved classics, discover dozens of practical strategies for using books to teach many of the Common Core State Standards in reading
- Maximize Your Early Learners’ Literacy Development
Enhance your literacy program by using outstanding young children’s books to teach essential early literacy skills … Discover dozens of highly motivating activities designed to engage all types of learners
- Utilize Books, Poems, Rhymes, and Songs to Teach the Common Core State Standards in Reading
Learn how to choose and use books, rhymes, poems, and songs to introduce and reinforce critical literacy skills … See proven techniques to teach phonological awareness, identify key ideas and details, and other standards in the reading strand
- Use Powerful Read-Aloud Techniques and Best Books to Enhance Listening Skills and Excite Students About Reading
Develop classroom-proven read-aloud techniques to engage young
listeners … Proven was to make reading time joyful and inspire a passion for books
- Create a Classroom Where All Children Can Learn
Discover practical ways to meet different learning styles and build upon the multiple intelligences of your students … Build in success for all of your preschoolers and kindergartners with a variety of meaningful, engaging activities that reach across your curriculum
- Update Your Reading Repertoire with the Best New Books
Learn new and exciting titles to add to your collection of favorites for preschoolers and kindergartners … Preview the latest and best new books and discover how to easily incorporate them into your literacy program
- Bring New Life to Your Read-Alouds
Discover how to use interactive read-alouds to build a community of motivated learners … Classroom-proven ideas that will engage young listeners and develop their listening skills
- Engage Your Readers with Books They’ll Love
Discover outstanding books guaranteed to captivate your preschool and kindergarten students and motivate them to read … Find time-honored titles you may have missed and new ways to use them to support your curriculum
- Build Comprehension Through Retelling and Dramatic Play
Create “story boxes” and felt boards that encourage retelling of stories to build your students’ comprehension skills … Encourage imaginative play that leads young readers back into books and develops pre-writing skills
- Ideas, Ideas and More Ideas!
Dozens of songs, chants, fingerplays, activities, poems, rhymes, and movement experiences you can use right away to enhance your preschool and kindergarten literacy program
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
Lively, informative booktalks of dozens of new and exemplary books for preschoolers and kindergartners
- Practical strategies to build your students’ vocabulary with great literature
- Practical strategies to teach seven of the Common Core State Standards in the reading strand
- Highly effective ways to infuse the love of reading into your daily preschool and kindergarten programs
- Proven ways to develop listening skills with engaging read-alouds
- How to build reading fluency and understanding with storytelling and dramatic play
- Excellent techniques to meet your students’ different learning styles with a variety of engaging activities
- Tips to expand phonemic awareness with rhymes, songs, poems, fingerplays, movement experiences, and activities
- How to incorporate exemplary books into all areas of your preschool and kindergarten curriculum
- A wealth of ideas to motivate all your learners with practical, low‑prep, no-cost ideas
- Ideas for using outstanding research-based activities to support multiple intelligences
- Numerous innovative ideas that give young children experience with concepts in oral and written language
- A variety of ideas to incorporate reading and language development into all areas of your curriculum
- Highly effective techniques to teach phonics within a meaningful context
- Critical steps to create a language-rich environment that boosts early reading skills and motivation
- How to incorporate the Common Core State Standards in reading and current trends in education in preparing your students to be successful, independent readers
- The best ideas for motivating your preschool and kindergarten students to actively engage in the reading process
- Practical, classroom-proven ideas to blend easy literacy strategies into your daily routine in preschool and kindergarten
- Simple, effective techniques for using retelling to bolster beginning comprehension skills
- How to build your collection of great books for young readers with extensive, annotated bibliographies from the resource handbook
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
“The single most important activity for building the knowledge required for eventual success in reading is reading aloud to children.” – From Becoming a Nation of Readers, talking and reading together.
As educators, we know the value of read-alouds with our preschool and kindergarten learners, but we also know we need to do more than just read to them. In my years as a teacher and a librarian, I’ve learned a variety of interactive techniques that bring great books to life for young students. From fingerplays and songs, rhymes and poems, music and movement experiences, whole-group and small-group activities, we can offer so many opportunities for our preschool and kindergarten students to engage in language development and fall in love with reading.
During our day together, I’ll share a wealth of outstanding children’s books and teaching strategies to engage and motivate all the young students in your classrooms and libraries. We’ll talk about the research-based, classroom-proven strategies that have the most impact on developing lifelong readers. I’ll share with you all the best, new books and some of my favorites from my twenty years of educational experience, plus highly effective ways to use them to strengthen your preschool and kindergarten students’ literacy skills.
Some of the topics we’ll explore are:
- The best, new books for preschoolers and kindergartners, and new ways to enjoy the classics
- The Common Core State Standards for kindergarten and how to use exemplary literature to teach seven of the standards in the reading strand
- Activities designed to activate the multiple intelligences of all your learners
- How to inspire preschool and kindergarten students to fall in love with books, and rediscover the joy of it yourself!
My passion is sharing great books with young learners and finding a variety of ways to make reading come to life. I know you’ll leave this seminar full of enthusiasm and loaded with ideas you can use immediately in your own library, preschool or kindergarten classroom.
P.S. Come ready to enjoy a fast-paced day full of outstanding books and the practical strategies you’ve been looking for!
Who Should Attend
Teachers and Librarians Working with Preschool and Kindergarten Students.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. Included in the handbook are:
Annotated booklists, activities, bibliographies, and motivating ideas for teaching literacy skills to preschool and kindergarten students
- Quick-and-easy, ready-to-use phonological awareness and print motivation strategies to enhance your students’ literacy development
- Interactive, classroom-proven activities, songs, fingerplays, movement experiences, games, and teaching tips to meet the diverse needs of preschoolers and kindergartners
- Activities designed to activate the multiple intelligences of all your students
- Ideas, ideas, ideas to inspire preschool and kindergarten students to fall in love with books
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a great opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other librarians and preschool and kindergarten teachers interested in using outstanding books to teach early literacy skills.
Kristen Remenar will be available at the seminar to answer questions regarding the unique needs of your own preschool and kindergarten literacy program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.