Book & Build Lessons: 100 Great Children's Books to Use With Makerspace Activities (Grades K-6)
Presented by Tricia Kuon
Specifically Designed for School Librarians, Public Librarians, Media Specialists, Library Aies, Resource Teachers, Classroom Teachers, and Administrators Serving Grades K-6
- Increase student engagement in books and learning in your library or classroom through meaningful makerspace activities paired with awesome children's books
- Discover the Book & Build process through hands-on experience
- Strengthen essential 21st Century Learning Skills
- Receive an extensive digital resource handbook filled with ideas designed specifically for combining amazing children's books with makerspace activities designed to meet the needs of your school or community
Practical Ideas and Strategies
In this NEW seminar, award-winning librarian, author, and presenter Tricia Kuon shares her classroom-proven, practical ways to combine makerspace activities with the best children's books. This exciting seminar has been designed to help strengthen library and classroom learning by combining books with makerspace activities to meet the following needs:
- Provide an awesome list of children's books to use with makerspace activities in order to enhance the curriculum and help students to remember their learning in a MORE meaningful way
- Align with curriculum to extend classroom learning
- Emphasize the 5 C's of 21st Century Learning: collaboration, communication, critical thinking, communication, and citizenship
- Allow for STEAM activities and experiences
- Turn classrooms and libraries into spaces to absorb knowledge and create NEW knowledge.
Communicating with your stakeholders, engaging your students with great books, and spreading enthusiasm through fun, exciting, appealing building and making activities are just a few of the topics that will be discussed.
Join Tricia for an energizing and inspiring day full of the very best books and dozens of makerspace activities, plus a host of strategies and techniques that you can use immediately, successfully, and powerfully to integrate these books into your classroom or library program.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Practical and Easy Ways to Incorporate Makerspaces with Literature to Transform Your Library Program
Dozens of ideas, plans, strategies, and resources will be shared to help you enhance your existing lessons with ideas you can implement immediately!
- Discover WHY to Include Makerspaces in Your Curriculum
Research demonstrates that making leads to better retention of learning plus there are so many more reasons to include making. Let's talk about those reasons!
- Preview Amazing Children's Books Made for Making
Tricia will share the latest, most motivating children's books developed to cater to the maker movement and demonstrate the maker mindset at work!
- Delve into the Maker Mindset
Discover how closely the maker mindset is associated with the growth mindset … Strategies proven to increasing confidence and success
- Experience the Perfect Read Alouds for Makerspace Learning
Reading aloud is quickly becoming a lost and dying practice but its importance cannot be emphasized too much
- Essential Free or Low Cost Digital Tools
Leave with dozens of ideas for making the most of free or low cost digital tools … Learn how these digital tools to create and MAKE awesome learning
- Lists of Outstanding Children's Books to Meet Your Curriculum Standards
Each making activity will align with American Association of School Librarian (AASL) standards for learners … Strategies for integrating these books into your program
- Learn Which Lessons Strengthen Essential 21st Century Learning Skills
Makerspaces go beyond fun by building an environment where creating, collaborating, critical thinking, and communication are essential
- Connect Making to Your Read Alouds, Booktalks, and Library Lessons
Learn how makerspaces support and reinforce your already existing curriculum
- Receive an Extensive Makerspace Digital Resource Handbook
Leave with a digital resource handbook filled with the newest ideas, strategies, and tips for creating and enhancing library makerspaces through the use of Book & Build activities
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- 100 ways to use great children's books with makerspace activities
- How to enhance your existing makerspace by combining it with your curriculum needs
- The best children's books and how you can use them in your library, classroom and making plans
- Awesome ideas to help you align your making and use of children's books with national standards
- Current research to see what is being done and what's WORKING
- How to incorporate amazing FREE digital tools with books and making
- Ideas for enhance your digital presence through making and read alouds
- Use makerspaces to boost STEAM skills for every student by tapping into the power of making
- How to use a Book & Build framework to make sure your makerspaces challenge students to develop higher-order thinking
- Best practices, tips and tricks to incorporate and build on the maker mindset
- Make your library more inviting for all students using innovative makerspace activities along with engaging books with every lesson!
- Greatly enhance your library or classroom curriculum through Book & Build – ideas you can use!
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Like many of you, I struggled with finding a way to incorporate using makerspaces in my classroom, which happened to be a school library. Among the issues were time, space, money, education for me and for all of the stakeholders, and did I mention time? I have tried numerous ways to create meaningful making experiences for students without taking away from my primary goal – promoting great books and encouraging students to become enthusiastic readers!
My quandary was this: with limited time, limited space, and of course, limited funds, how could I implement making activities without taking away from my most important task of showing kids great books to get them excited about reading?
In this seminar, I will share with you dozens of great lesson ideas for awesome books you can use at any level, K-6, along with exciting build or maker activities. These lessons are about topics that you likely cover in your curriculum like award books, genres, categories of books, digital citizenship, friendship, belonging, diversity, and more. Attending this seminar will save you countless hours of time as you try to invent the wheel yourself. I've already created the wheel for you, and I would love to share.
Because one of the best ways to learn about makerspaces is through making, this seminar will be interactive and informative. I can't wait to meet you and work with you.
P.S. Not only will we have time together to explore and discover dozens of ways to use the best children's books for maker activities, you will leave this seminar with an extensive digital handbook and access to online resources designed specifically for librarians and teachers who want to use makerspaces!
Who Should Attend
School Librarians, Public Librarians, Media Specialists, Library Aides, Resource Teachers, Classroom Teachers, and Administrators Serving Grades K-6
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Practical techniques and strategies for implementing makerspace activities into your curriculum immediately
- Numerous ideas for low-cost or inexpensive or FREE makerspace activities
- Specific experiences to create engaging lessons to enhance creativity and strengthen STEAM skills
- Ways to support and encourage students to be enthusiastic readers
Tricia Kuon will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.