Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
MAKERSPACES: Creating Motivating, Engaging Work Spaces for Your LIBRARY
Presented by Tricia Kuon
Specifically Designed for School Librarians, Public Librarians, Media Specialists, Library Aides, Resource Teachers, and Administrators Serving Grades K-12
- Increase student interest and learning in your library through engaging and meaningful MAKERSPACES
- See examples of great library MAKERSPACES from across the country
- Numerous cost-efficient ideas to help you maximize your time and resources
- Receive an extensive digital resource handbook filled with ideas designed specifically for creating and extending MAKERSPACES to fit the needs of your school or community
Practical Ideas and Strategies
This exciting seminar has been designed to help strengthen library programs through engaging Makerspaces. Using Makerspaces meets the following needs:
- Provides access and opportunity to use a variety of tools and technology
- Emphasizes the 4 Cs of 21st Century Learning: collaboration, creativity, critical thinking, communication, and citizenship
- Aligns with curriculum to extend and enhance classroom instruction
- Allows for STEAM activities and experiences
- Turns libraries into spaces for absorbing and creating knowledge
Tricia Kuon, an award-winning librarian, will share how to develop an inviting, thriving environment where students can create and learn from each other. Tricia will provide you with numerous cost-efficient ideas to help you maximize your time and resources. Communicating with your stakeholders, locating inexpensive resources, and maximizing your library space are just a few of the topics that will be discussed. Whether you have existing Makerspaces in your library or are new to the idea of offering Makerspaces, you are sure to find a wealth of ideas in this powerful one-day seminar!Join Tricia for an inspiring day filled with practical tips that will give you the tools you need to develop or enhance your own Makerspaces. As an added benefit, you will receive a comprehensive digital resource handbook that has been specifically designed for this seminar, filled with outstanding ideas to help you get started with Makerspaces in your library or to enhance your current library Makerspaces.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Practical and Easy Ways to Incorporate Makerspaces that Will Transform Your Library
Dozens of ideas, strategies and resources to help you create or enhance Makerspaces in your library … Cost-effective and innovative strategies you can use immediately!
- Develop Better Direction and Focus with Makerspace Goals
Extensive modeling of Makerspace goal setting … Improve the direction and focus of YOUR Makerspace
- Numerous Cost-Efficient Ideas to Help You Maximize Your Time and Resources
You don’t have to start from scratch and spend hours of time planning – use what you already have and add to it along the way … Tricia will show you how!
- Develop Makerspaces that Support Essential 21st Century Learning Skills
Makerspaces go beyond fun by building an environment where creating, collaborating, critical thinking, and communication are essential
- Create Makerspaces that Meet the Needs of Your School and Community
Discover how to conduct a needs assessment to help you design Makerspaces that will play a vital role in your school and community
- Connect Making to Your Read Alouds, Booktalks, and Library Lessons
Learn how Makerspaces support and reinforce your already existing curriculum
- Move Beyond Tinkering to Create Higher Level Learning
Connecting to your lessons is a great way to start, let's explore how to go beyond tinkering to create higher level learning experiences for students … Discover a framework for making Makerspaces even more powerful
- Make Time and Space for Makerspaces
In an already busy schedule, and in an already crowded space, how can you possibly implement this great new practice? Let's talk about what others are doing and what might work best for you
- Learn How Making Can Lead to Inventing and Why Inventing Matters
Learn how to help your students connect to their ideas and problem solve their way to inventing
- Receive an Extensive Makerspaces Digital Resource Handbook
Leave with a digital resource handbook filled with the newest ideas, strategies, and tips for creating and enhancing library Makerspaces
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Dozens of ways to develop an inviting, thriving library environment with Makerspaces
- How to get started or enhance your existing Makerspaces
- The hottest trends in Makerspace creation and how you can use them in your library
- Numerous resources to help you create or adapt what other librarians are doing with Makerspaces
- Current research to see what is being done and what's WORKING
- How to develop goals to clarify what Makerspaces are, why, and how you are using them in your program
- Ideas for inexpensive Makerspaces AND ways to fund your Makerspace needs
- Use Makerspaces to boost STEAM skills for every student by tapping into the power of inventing
- How to use a framework to make sure your Makerspaces challenge students to higher-order thinking
- Best practices, tips and tricks from successful Makerspace creators
- Make your library more inviting for all students using innovative Makerspaces
- How the library media specialist is indispensable in the Makerspace revolution
- Time and money-saving tips and strategies
- Greatly enhance your library with Makerspaces – ideas you can use!
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Like many of you, I had become accustomed to the idea of being the school's official book person and technology guru who helped students and teachers find books and resources while providing new technologies. This Makerspace concept was new to me. I was worried about many issues and questions that could arise:
What is it? Why am I doing it? Is this just playing? Why are we playing in the library? What will the students learn? Is it messy? Is it loud? Why am I doing something messy and loud in the library? Will the students like it? Will the teachers and administrators like it? How much will it cost? How do I justify the expense?
Determined not to let my fears stop me, I began with two to three activities my first week of using Makerspaces. Within a month, I had added about 20 possible activities and that number continued to grow rapidly over time.
What I discovered was amazing! Students needed Makerspaces, whether they were learning at school or online. Makerspaces allow for engaged, creative, enthusiastic learning without all of the pressure and anxiety that accompanies most school learning. My Makerspace is so popular, inviting and wonderful that I cannot imagine my library without it. As my Makerspace grew, my understanding of Makerspaces, how to use them, why to use them, and the many significant educational benefits that come with their use has been a revelation. Libraries have been thought of as places for storing knowledge for centuries. Makerspaces allow libraries to be spaces for creating knowledge as well.
In this seminar, we will explore Makerspaces together, looking at how to use them, why to use them, and the many significant educational benefits that come with their use. We will also discuss the importance of the library transforming in accordance to the educational needs of students, how to provide these great strategies both in-person and online, and how that transformation makes librarians increasingly indispensable. Mostly, we will engage, create, collaborate, and explore.
Whether you work in an elementary, middle, or high school, or a public library, this seminar will provide you with the motivation, strategies and resources to start up your own successful Makerspace or enhance your existing library Makerspace.
P.S. This seminar will focus on practical, budget-friendly ideas that will have you establishing thriving Makerspaces in your library!
Who Should Attend
School Librarians, Public Librarians, Media Specialists, Library Aides, Resource Teachers, and Administrators Serving Grades K-12
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Digital Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook giving you access to countless strategies before, during and after the seminar. The handbook includes:
- Practical techniques and strategies for planning, establishing and enhancing Makerspaces in a school or public library
- Numerous ideas for low-cost or inexpensive Makerspaces whether you are teaching in-person or online
- Specific ways to create engaging Makerspaces to enhance creativity and strengthen STEAM skills
- Ways to generate support and resources for Makerspaces
Tricia Kuon will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own library.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.