Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
What's NEW in Children's Books and Creative, Powerful Strategies to Use Them in Your Program - 2020 -
Presented by Deborah Salyer
Totally NEW Seminar with All NEW Titles for the Year 2020
Designed for Grades K-6
- The very best, new books most recently published, matched with dozens of innovative, engaging strategies to use them in ALL areas of your program
- A lively, fast-paced presentation with a wealth of multi-format titles that will spark students’ interest in standout stories and nonfiction they’ll love to read
- Sample copies of many of the best new books will be on display for you to personally preview
- Receive an extensive, ALL NEW children’s books resource handbook with comprehensive, annotated bibliographies, ready-to-use activities, and corresponding websites and apps that will make new books come alive for children in highly appealing ways!
Practical Ideas and Strategies
In this highly engaging seminar, award-winning media specialist and international presenter, Deborah B. Ford-Salyer, will highlight the best, NEWLY published children’s books, including picture books, chapter books, novels, graphic novels, folklore, poetry, nonfiction titles, and more! Deborah reads and evaluates each new children’s book, then develops fresh, innovative ideas to use them in all areas of your curriculum. As a bonus, she also finds the best, new web tools and apps to pair with the books she shares.
Many of the ideas, apps and online resources are applicable to other books as well. This way, you can pick and choose the new books and activities that are best suited to your students and the priorities of your classroom or library. Throughout this fast-paced day, Deborah will model her passion for books as well as demonstrate successful skills for booktalking and reading aloud. You’ll also learn great ways to use technology to extend your interactions with readers about books in ways they love to learn.
Join Deborah for a compelling day filled with engaging, ready-to-use ideas, highly appealing booklists, her comprehensive handbook, and unique teaching tips to introduce and fully extend learning based on the newest, most outstanding children’s books. Engage yourself in an energizing celebration of the best new books and powerful ways to use them with your students!
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Preview the Best, New Children’s Books!
Learn from an enthusiastic teacher and experienced school librarian about the BEST of the most recently published children’s books … Many of the new books will be available for your personal review
- Explore the Bright, New World of Nonfiction Books
Publishers are aware of the current emphasis on informational books and are responding with some of the best new nonfiction books we’ve seen in years … Learn about the recent changes and discover some phenomenal new books!
- See the Best, New Picture Books … For All Ages!
Nothing tells a story like a stunning picture book and Deborah will share the newest and best ones … Learn innovative ways to use them creatively throughout your curriculum or program with students of all ages
- Hear About the Best, New Read-Alouds
Entice your students or patrons with the latest and most engaging read-alouds … Deborah will refresh your collection of great read-alouds and share them with you in her lively, down-to-earth style
- Tap into the Best Technology to Get More From Great New Books
Learn strategies to use technology to help you get students excited about reading … From book trailers to curation tools, Deborah has done the work for you by evaluating the best web tools and apps to support your literacy program
- Discover Strategies to Link Great New Books with Reading and Writing
Explore terrific activities and practical strategies you can use immediately to entice your students to get involved in and stay excited about reading and writing … Ideas, tips and tools – all aligned with current state standards
- Catch Up on the Most Current Book Trends
Hear the latest news from the children’s book publishing world … Learn about the new and developing trends so you can keep ahead of the game
- Use Outstanding New Books to Implement Your State Standards
Learn how to meet your state reading standards by introducing your students to outstanding new books … Find out easy ways to match books to curriculum standards with supportive, ready-to-use lesson plans – no matter what subject area you teach
- Address Diversity and Inclusion with New Books and Awards
Discover books with diverse characters that allow your readers to see themselves in the literature … Hear about the awards that celebrate diversities in culture, ethnicity and ability
- Books They Will Love to Read!
Discover many NEW books that are sure to entice young readers and captivate their diverse interests … Plus, you’ll receive an extensive resource handbook with annotated book lists and loaded with hundreds of engaging tips, tools and innovative ideas
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- The best new books and dozens of highly engaging, practical strategies to fully involve students in the books they’ll love to read
- Proven ways to integrate the best, new books into your curriculum or program
- Highly-motivating websites, apps and online resources to pair with the most outstanding new books
- How to use terrific new books that connect with your state standards
- Tips and demonstrations for filling your read-alouds with energy and enthusiasm
- How to connect to authors and illustrators with little or no budget
- Practical strategies for integrating technology into your literacy program
- Highly motivating ways to use the best new picture books in your teaching
- Hot new ways to use booktalks to sell a book
- Fundraising ideas and money-saving strategies to help make the most of your book budget
- Practical, exciting ideas to use new books to engage all readers – regardless of ability
- Proven ways to instill a real love of literature in your students
- How to choose the best, new books even with the leanest budget
- Resources for discovering potentially sensitive areas in books
- Innovative ideas to update your classroom or library with alternative formats and genres of books to stimulate your readers
- A wealth of new books, ready-to-use tools and the best, new web resources to make reading instruction come alive
- Boundless ways to rediscover your love of children’s books all over again!
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
My mother tells people I write book reports for a living. It’s true—I get paid to read books for kids. I love my job! Every year I read hundreds of new books, selecting the best books your readers will most enjoy. I work with publishers, authors and illustrators to make sure I find the very best of the best. There is a wealth of new literature this year, with new authors, new illustrators and new titles that will grab your imagination and send you back to your classroom or library eager to share what you’ve learned with your readers!
My all NEW seminar offers hundreds of titles for all ages, reading levels and interests. All children can benefit from the richness of other cultures, so I’ve searched with diversity in mind. In this seminar I will also reveal some of the back stories of the hottest books of the year—providing you with more hooks for your readers. From wordless books to chapter books and graphic novels to nonfiction, this year’s selections feature incredible debut authors and illustrators. Many of our favorite authors also published in 2019. You’ll see our beloved Kate DiCamillo with a new Mercy Watson picture book. And this year’s nonfiction is better than ever. Classroom and content area teachers – you will easily be able to incorporate these terrific books into your curriculum. No matter your teaching role, you’ll also learn about ready-to-use resources that will help you teach the books or discuss them in a book club. In many cases, the lesson plans are already written for you!
Technology continues to blend with literacy programs. We will explore dozens of ways to integrate technology into our classrooms and libraries. From ready-to-use book trailers to creation tools, we will explore innovative new ways to promote literacy. In our seminar, we will also explore free online resources that enrich the books while connecting them to state standards. Are you concerned about the content for upper level books? Find out about resources to help you make the smartest purchases for your collection. The most expensive book is one that’s never used.
This year I’ve included many articles to support your work after the seminar. From funding to getting the best use of your audiobooks, find out easy ways to save money and market what you have. I always say, “it’s the seminar that keeps on giving.” Your take-home handbook is far from being just a list of books; it’s full of support pieces you can read at your leisure. I’ve also spent hours creating an online support tool to support your work and save you time.
I look forward to meeting you at this fun and inspirational seminar in which we will immerse ourselves in the amazing world of the best of new children’s literature!
Deborah B. Ford-Salyer
P.S. Come ready to enjoy a fast-paced day full of outstanding new books—plus powerful tools and innovative activities to use with them.
Who Should Attend
K-6 Classroom Teachers, Media Specialists, Librarians, Children’s Librarians in Public Libraries, Library Aides, Reading Specialists, Resource Teachers, Special Education Staff, and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Children’s Books Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook with a wealth of information specifically designed for this seminar. Included in the handbook are:
- A wealth of NEW titles of the best books recently published
- Exciting and creative ways to utilize the books in your classroom or program
- Numerous practical activities and resources that extend the effectiveness of the new books Deborah shares
- Valuable lists of websites and tools to use with devices that will add interest and value to your lessons
- Highly engaging techniques to inspire students to fall in love with reading!
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in enhancing their literacy programs.
Deborah Ford-Salyer will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you’ll be fully satisfied or you’ll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.