Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
The Best Award-Winning Young Adult Books of the Last Decade and How to Use Them in Your Program (Grades 6-12)
Presented by Cathy Andronik
Specifically Designed for Secondary Teachers, School Librarians and Public Librarians
- An exciting overview of the best award-winning books for young adults published in the past ten years
- Hands-on, practical ideas and strategies for using award-winning young adult literature to reach and motivate teens
- An innovative, idea-packed day for using the BEST in young adult literature to increase reading interest
- Receive an extensive YA books resource handbook filled with annotated booklists you can use immediately
Practical Ideas and Strategies
In this electrifying, NEW seminar, outstanding librarian and book reviewer, Cathy Andronik shares her insider information on the ins and outs of award committees, list committees and the world of book reviewing. With hundreds of awards given annually, teachers and librarians are keen to select only the best titles to use with their students.
In addition to exploring the major awards in depth, you will discover outstanding, lesser-known lists. You will learn about dozens of outstanding titles, examining many of the books themselves and receiving detailed annotations in a comprehensive resource handbook. Plus, you'll discover a wealth of proven strategies for incorporating these exceptional books in your classroom or library program.
Join Cathy for a high energy and inspiring day full of the very best award-winning books of the last ten years, plus a host of strategies and techniques that you can use immediately, successfully and powerfully to integrate these books into your own grades 6-12 classroom or library program.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- An Overview of the BEST Award-Winning YA Books of the Last Decade
Explore the most outstanding YA books that belong in your collection, from best sellers to hidden gems … Learn how to most effectively use them to reach and teach students in grades 6-12
- Discover and Preview the Best and Most Overlooked Award Books!
Learn about the BEST award books of the past ten years … Many of the books shared will be available for your personal review
- Explore the Diversity of Book Awards in Today's World
With HUNDREDS of awards (and growing) the sheer number of book awards are difficult to stay on top of … Learn about all sorts of awards that will delight your young adults no matter what their interests may be and discover many phenomenal books!
- Uncover the Best Nonprint Award Winners
Explore the best award-winning films and audiobooks – perfect for your teens … Learn engaging ways to use these in your classroom or library program
- Discover and Rediscover Overlooked or Forgotten Award Winners
Cathy will lead you in recognizing regional favorites, student favorites and more great, award-winning books for students that are often overlooked … Entice your young adult readers and captivate their diverse interests
- Catch Up on the Latest News and Newest Awards
Hear the latest news from the book publishing world and what this may mean for YA book awards … Inspire your students with tons of the best award-winning books
- The Best, Award-Winning Picture Books for Older Readers
The picture book can be rediscovered when students enter the teen years … Learn about some of the best picture books for all ages and how they can be a vital part of your program
- Award-Winning Titles that Reflect the Diversity of Your Population
Uncover the best award-winning books that reflect the diversity of the young adult population you work with … Discover awards that feature titles your diverse readers will identify with
- Award Books Your Reluctant Readers Will Love!
Integrate award books into your classroom or library program that your reluctant readers will love
- Receive an ALL NEW, Best Award-Winning YA Literature Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive handbook filled with comprehensive, annotated bibliographies, ready-to-use activities, websites/apps and dozens of practical tips, tools and ideas to use these outstanding award-winning books with your grades 6-12 students
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- The best YA books of the past decade to enrich your program
- Outstanding titles and proven techniques for reaching reluctant readers
- Creative ideas for introducing new books to your students
- Innovative projects that incorporate award-winning books
- Specific suggestions for finding and evaluating books for teens
- Customizable lesson plans and discussion guides for making best use of award-winning titles
- Discover the best of the best titles from lesser known awards
- Ways to incorporate award-winning nonfiction into STEM/STEAM programs
- Innovative strategies for using award winners in libraries and classrooms
- Terrific books that will appeal to your diverse population
- Proven strategies to promote award-winning books among your young adults
- Elevate your program and enliven your curriculum with the best of the best!
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
I am so excited that you are interested in learning more about the best award-winning young adult books published in the last decade. As an experienced secondary school librarian, I used to tell my students there was nothing I'd rather do on a gray, rainy day than enjoy a good book – but rarely did I find a student who initially understood how that could be considered fun! A key step in getting young adults excited about reading has to be introducing them to great books that connect to their lives, experiences and interests.
With literally hundreds of different awards given to YA literature annually, keeping track of the best, most high-quality literature for our teens can be daunting. This can often prohibit teachers and librarians from choosing the best materials or being able to talk about them. I have designed this seminar specifically to introduce you to the best award-winning books of the last decade – books I know will be among tomorrow's "classics."
We will explore books perfect for grabbing the attention of our young adults now and continuing to motivate them to want to read for a lifetime. I want to equip you with the skills, information and motivation needed to confidently select the most outstanding YA books and make best use of them in your program. Plus, each participant will receive my extensive resource handbook, The Best Award-Winning Young Adult Books of the Last Decade and How to Use Them in Your Program, with a fully annotated bibliography, booklists, strategies, and much more!
Be prepared to spend a day doing what book lovers love to do – learn about books, talk about books, review books, and share ideas related to books. You will leave knowing dozens upon dozens of the best award-winning books for your grades 6-12 students and equipped with great ideas for using them in your classroom or library program.
P.S. If you're looking for books with high teen appeal, this is the seminar for you. Come prepared to do the number one thing that gets teens reading: talking about great books!
Who Should Attend
Secondary Teachers, School Librarians and Public Librarians
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Award-Winning YA Books Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- A comprehensive, annotated bibliography of the best award-winning books of the last ten years … Plus, sub lists arranged by award
- Innovative ideas, templates and lesson plans for using these titles in your classroom or library program
- Notations indicating appropriate grade and/or reading level, sensitive content, and more
- Links to websites for FREE classroom/discussion guides
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in the best award-winning young adult books.
Cathy Andronik will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions about the unique needs of your own program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you’ll be fully satisfied or you’ll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.