Help English Learners Exit Your ELL Program: Powerful Strategies to Accelerate Student Success (Grades K-6)
Presented by Mary Peterson
Specifically Designed for K-6 District and School Leaders and Leadership Teams: District Curriculum Coordinators, ELL Directors, Principals, Literacy Coaches, ELL Specialists and Classroom Teachers
- Highly practical techniques and activities to prevent ELL students from becoming “stuck” at intermediate levels of English proficiency and help them more rapidly exit your ELL program
- Learn the key components of the most exemplary ELL programs that accelerate the success of English Language Learners in small group instruction and in the general classroom
- Organize your ELL program around highly practical ideas, activities, and lessons to strengthen and develop the reading and writing skills of ELL students
- Innovative classroom strategies based on the best, current research to enable ELLs to become more confident, engaged students who overcome language and literacy barriers
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Far too many English Learners are becoming Long-Term English Learners and are “stuck” at the middle EL levels. The question is: What can we as educators do about it? In this NEW strategy- packed two-day institute led by highly experienced ELL instructor, Mary Peterson, you will learn a wealth of practical strategies designed to accelerate progress and success of your ELL students. You will discover how to better lead your school or district ELL teams to identify and implement the most effective, cutting-edge, research-based instructional strategies to increase achievement of your ELL students and help them exit your ELL program. You will learn how to increase teacher expertise in working with ELL students along with practical ways to monitor and adjust instruction based on student results.
This is a unique opportunity to evaluate your own ELL program based on current research that identifies the most effective instructional practices for ELL students. You will gain an in-depth look at the key components of highly successful ELL programs and how these can be applied to your own school or district model. You will learn ways to facilitate rapid gains in the English language development of your ELL students and unlock greater success across grade level content areas. If you are searching for new and innovative strategies to accelerate the language proficiency and academic skills of your ELL students, this is an institute you won’t want to miss! You will also receive an extensive resource handbook to support your success long after the institute. You’ll leave with an expanded toolbox of highly effective strategies to help you accelerate the success of your ELL students.
A Practical, Two-Day Institute Focused on Increasing Achievement of ELL students and Helping Them Exit Your ELL Program
Plan to attend as a school or district team, a representative team member or district leader to increase the effectiveness of your ELL program. You will learn how to build on the success of your current program, identify the key components that have the greatest impact on the achievement of ELL students and find the specific areas you need to target for implementation and improvement. Leave equipped with a wealth of the most effective ELL instructional strategies that will help accelerate the achievement and progress of your ELL students in grades K-6.
Develop a Plan to Structure Your ELL Program for Greater Results and to Boost Teacher Expertise
Discover the attributes of highly successful ELL programs and how you can use these in your own program, including building teacher instructional expertise in working with ELL students. Gain dozens of practical, instructional strategies you can use immediately with your students. During the two days, you will learn how to better serve ELL students in the general education classroom as well as in a pull-out model. You will learn key strategies to lead and teach other educators to implement effective instructional practices that work with your ELL population. Don’t miss this unique two-day opportunity to accelerate the achievement of your ELL students and exit them from your ELL program.
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Key components of exemplary EL programs that accelerate your ELL students’ learning … Implications for your own school or district program
- Highly effective strategies and routines to decrease the amount of time students are in your ELL program
- Highly effective guided reading techniques and comprehension strategies to increase reading levels of ELL students
- Planning and teaching just-right small group language, reading and writing lessons based on the needs and strengths of EL students
- Instructional strategies proven to help ELL students achieve greater success in the general education classroom
- Tried and Tested strategies to help ELL students better grasp vocabulary understanding and grammar skills
- How to create a more positive, safe and welcoming classroom environment for all your ELL students
- A wealth of small group lessons designed to maximize achievement of each level of English language learner
- Tools to perform ongoing and informal assessments of ELL students so you can match instruction to their needs
- Motivating ideas to make learning English natural and enjoyable for all students
- Techniques to integrate reading, writing, listening, and speaking activities into the current curriculum
- Cooperative learning activities to strengthen language skills of all students
- Engaging, high-impact strategies to increase motivation and time on-task for ELs – whether you are teaching at school or online
- Numerous, fun and exciting language building games and activities
- What highly effective teachers know and do when working with ELL students
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
As an experienced teacher of ELL students, I know firsthand the challenges we face to help our students achieve at the high standards expected of them. In this highly practical institute, you will receive research-based strategies that have been proven to accelerate language skills of ELL students. I have seen so many students get stuck at the intermediate English levels and stay there for years. I will share with you highly effective and motivating strategies to help our students more rapidly “exit” the ELL program. I will provide dozens of cooperative group, whole group, small group and independent activities to motivate and engage students at each level of language acquisition. You will learn numerous games, engaging activities, and innovative ideas to teach language skills across the curriculum.
Helping our ELL students gain confidence and competence as they learn English can be very rewarding. Being a member of a culturally diverse classroom can be an enriching experience for teachers and students. You will leave this seminar with a wealth of highly effective and practical strategies for accelerating language skills, promoting self-esteem, and creating a community of active, engaged learners. Let me share what I have learned with you, so that you can also experience the rewards of helping your ELL students make more rapid progress. “Exiting” students from your ELL program because they have acquired English language proficiency is the best kind of caseload reduction there is! You’ll leave this institute feeling invigorated and equipped with a toolbox full of ideas, resources and strategies you can use immediately. I look forward to meeting you at the institute!
P.S. You will leave this institute with an extensive resource handbook and dozens of use-tomorrow strategies, and a renewed desire to make a significant difference in the lives of your English Learners.
Who Should Attend
K-6 District and School Leaders and Leadership Teams: District Curriculum Coordinators, ELL Directors, Principals, Literacy Coaches, ELL Specialists and Classroom Teachers
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook specifically designed for this institute. The handbook includes:
- How to create an effective ELL program in the general classroom as well as in small group classrooms
- Step-by-step instructional strategies to enhance language skills
- Lesson plan formats
- Assessment guides and checklists
- Graphic organizers for reading and writing activities
- Links to several digital resources
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This institute provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in helping English Learners exit their ELL programs.
Mary Peterson will be available at the institute for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.