Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
Helping Every Student Meet and Exceed the Rigorous
COMMON CORE STATE LITERACY STANDARDS
Presented by Matt Yarkosky
Specifically Designed for Secondary English Department Teams, English Department Chairs, Teacher Leaders, Teachers on Special Assignments (TOSAs), Classroom Coaches, Building Leadership Teams, Curriculum Directors, Members of District Committees on CCSS in ELA, Principals, Assistant Principals, District Staff Development Specialists, and Assistant Superintendents
- Expand your understanding of the key elements of the Common Core literacy standards and the role district and building leaders play in the successful implementation of the standards
- Proven strategies for aligning your district’s reading and writing instruction with the Common Core State Standards for English/language arts in grades 6-12
- Learn the key components of exemplary literacy instruction and how to ensure these practices are being used in your own school or district in conjunction with the new Common Core literacy standards
- Increase your understanding of how the Common Core literacy standards will be assessed, and how to develop assessments that fit the needs of your school or district
- Powerful leadership strategies to help you work with teachers and departments who are reluctant to change
- Develop a concrete action plan and acquire proven strategies to help every student meet or exceed the Common Core State Standards in reading and writing … Walk away with a school or district implementation plan
Practical Ideas and Strategies
The Common Core State Standards (CCSS) have raised the bar for literacy instruction in grades 6-12. While some individual teachers have shifted instructional practices, it is clear that as the full implementation deadline approaches many schools and departments are still searching for practical ways to align and implement these new rigorous standards with their current literacy instruction.
If you are searching for practical ways to help every student meet or exceed the rigorous Common Core State Standards in reading and writing, this is a unique professional development opportunity you won’t want to miss. In this timely, two-day leadership institute, Matt Yarkosky will walk you through the details of the Common Core literacy standards and present ideas on how to work with a team or department of teachers to implement the instructional and assessment changes necessary for student success.
You will be engaged in a process to identify what is working well in your current program, as well as how to identify the specific changes you will want to make to help each student be more successful. Throughout these two idea-packed days, Matt will share dozens of highly effective leadership and instructional strategies that will help you reach your goal of helping every student meet or exceed the Common Core State Standards in reading and writing.
A Practical, Two Day Institute Focused on Helping Every Student Meet or Exceed the Common Core State Standards for Reading and Writing
Plan to attend as a school team, district team, department head, or school leader. Develop an action plan that builds on the success of your current literacy program, identifies specific areas to target for improvement and incorporates the expectations put forth in the Common Core State Standards for reading and writing. Leave equipped with a wealth of the most effective reading and writing strategies that will help accelerate your students’ literacy achievement.
Develop a Concrete Action Plan to Align Your Reading and Writing Instruction with the CCSS in Reading and Writing and Increase Your Students' Literacy Achievement
You will leave this two-day intensive Common Core State Standards institute with a concrete action plan for strengthening and enhancing your school’s or district’s existing literacy instruction. During the institute, you’ll learn the best instructional strategies that most compliment the Common Core State Standards for reading and writing and how to identify specific adjustments that will lead to improved student achievement.
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- The key elements of the Common Core State Standards for reading and writing
- Practical ideas and strategies to use with teachers to help build their capacity to implement and assess the Common Core State Standards
- How to assess your current curriculum and instructional practices to see how they already align with the standards
- Learn specific ways to document student growth throughout the school year
- Dynamic leadership techniques to provide a smooth transition to the new standards
- How to strengthen the reading and writing tasks for all students in your school
- How to create assessments that align to the Common Core reading and writing standards
- Where to access available resources to help in implementing the standards
- Specific ideas on how to lead professional development in your own building, whether you have 30 minutes at staff meetings or whole day for training
- How the Common Core State Standards provides a cohesive transition from one grade level to the next
- Specific suggestions on how to introduce your staff to the learning demands required by each grade level and specific reading and writing standards
- How to evaluate classroom instruction so all students can find success in the classroom and later in college and life
- Practical steps to work with a team of teachers to implement CCSS and improve the rigor in your department and school
- Specific ways to gather and interpret data to accurately measure progress related to the successful integration of the standards
- An extensive repertoire of strategies to work with reluctant team teachers
- Creative, exciting ways to use your leadership skills to enhance communication and build support for the successful implementation of the Common Core State Standards for reading and writing
- Easy-to-make instructional shifts to increase the rigor in your school or district’s reading and writing instruction
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
I am extremely excited about what the shift to the Common Core State Standards mean for students and education. In order to truly make this shift a reality, all teachers must have a firm understanding of how to implement the standards. Each school must work as a team to navigate the process of getting all educators on board. This often involves changing attitudes and instructional practices.
To successfully make change happen, teacher-leaders and building administrators must have the skills and knowledge necessary to make the required shifts for all students to have access to a high quality education. As an educator who currently works with several teams of educators, I know that just because a teacher says he/she is implementing the Common Core does not mean that classroom practice and student learning are aligned to the standards. I believe we must ensure every teacher is ready to implement the standards if we are truly going to strengthen student learning and have a positive impact on student achievement.
During this unique institute, you will experience two full days of collaborating, reflecting, discovering, learning, practicing, and connecting previous knowledge to fresh ideas. My goal is for you to leave with a wealth of ideas and the skills to not only increase your capacity to understand the standards, assessments and practices, but also build your capacity to influence and directly work with others to support them in making these shifts. I look forward to meeting with you and sharing what I have learned about the successful implementation of the literacy standards. I encourage you to attend in teams from your school or district if possible, however, whether you attend alone or with a team, we will work collaboratively to develop an action plan for the smooth transition to and implementation of the standards in reading and writing.
I extend to you a personal invitation and pledge from me that you will leave the two-day institution with dozens of practical strategies in getting you and your team up to speed on what it takes to fully implement the Common Core State Standards in literacy, grades 6-12.
P.S. You will also receive an extensive CCSS resource handbook filled with numerous ideas and valuable, practical strategies you can use immediately to assist in the smooth implementation of the CCSS.
Who Should Attend
Secondary English Department Teams, English Department Chairs, Teacher Leaders, Teachers on Special Assignments (TOSAs), Classroom Coaches, Building Leadership Teams, Curriculum Directors, Members of District Committees on CCSS in ELA, Principals, Assistant Principals, District Staff Development Specialists, and Assistant Superintendents.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive CCSS resource handbook designed specifically for this institute. Included in the handbook are:
- Short presentations and support material for you to use with your department/staff
- Instructional strategies for the implementation of CCSS in English/language arts
- A list of free resources to help meet the needs of your school/district
- Tips for effective assessment and teaching of the standards
- Ideas to work with teachers at all levels from superstars to resisters
- … and much more!
Meet and Share
This institute provides a great opportunity for school and district literacy teachers and leadership teams to meet and share ideas with other educators who are also interested in practical ways to improve literacy achievement throughout their schools.
Matt Yarkosky will be available at the institute for consultation regarding your questions about the unique needs of your own literacy program.
Leave with a Concrete Action Plan to Raise Your Students' Literacy Achievement
During the institute, you’ll have an opportunity to evaluate student data from your own school or district literacy program, identify areas needing improvement, and develop a concrete action plan to improve your students’ literacy achievement.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.