Practical, High-Impact Reading Strategies
Specifically Designed for Educators Serving Grades K-2: Classroom Teachers, Title I Staff, Reading Specialists, Literacy Coaches, Special Education Staff, Interventionists, and Administrators
- High-impact, low-prep reading strategies you can use to strengthen your instruction to maximize students’ reading growth in grades K-2
- What matters the most in reading instruction – research-based strategies that can be easily incorporated into your core reading instruction
- Using integrated units of learning based on the fiction and nonfiction you have, including valuable resources and samples to help you design your own units
- Strategies to better address the wide range reading readiness, comprehension and fluency skills of your students
- Highly successful practices you can easily incorporate into your current reading instruction to accelerate your struggling readers’ skills
- Displays, models, student samples, and a comprehensive resource handbook filled with dozens of strategies, lessons, activities, and ideas designed for grades K-2 teachers who want to increase the reading growth of all their students
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Teaching reading to students who are ready to read is a tall order, and reaching those students who have had limited exposure to print, books or conversation – is even harder. This NEW, highly practical seminar has been specifically designed for K-2 educators who want to significantly increase the reading growth of all their students – struggling, typical and advanced.
Diane Murphy will share a wealth of ideas and strategies to help all your students practice and develop their reading skills to grow as readers using their strengths to build on their weaker areas. She will demonstrate and model lessons you can immediately use in your classroom, complete with real student samples and resources.
You will see how you can develop the reading foundational skills and move toward comprehension skills of more complex text. In addition, she will also share how you can use units of learning by integrating fiction and nonfiction to meet numerous reading and learning goals. All of the ideas can be easily adapted to fit into your small group and core reading program.
You won’t want to miss this fast-paced, idea-packed day with reading teacher extraordinaire, Diane Murphy, to learn how to greatly increase the reading growth of all your students!
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Practical, High-Impact Reading Strategies to Maximize Your Students’ Reading Growth
Highly successful reading practices you can easily incorporate into your small group and core instruction … Research-based and ready-to-use, regardless of the program you are using
- Accelerate Students’ Vocabulary Growth in Whole Class and Small Group Instruction
Without a strong knowledge of words and their meanings, students can struggle with comprehension of all kinds of text …Receive easy-to-use strategies to increase their word knowledge and understanding of what they read
- Specific Strategies to Teach Increasingly Complex Text and Support Close Reading
How to move your students from identifying key ideas, details, structure, characters and their traits, and setting to discussing and drawing conclusions … All strategies are designed just for grades K-2 using fiction and nonfiction text
- Integrated Units of Learning Based on the Fiction and Nonfiction You Use
Learn ways to put your fiction and nonfiction text into units for learning reading and writing skills … Ideas for developing prompts for discussion, writing, researching, and more – all perfect for grades K-2!
- What Matters the Most in Reading Instruction
Learn which strategies will bring the biggest results and will work in your core reading instruction … High-impact, low-prep strategies that work with whatever reading materials you are using
- Fun and Successful Ways to Teach Fiction
Using stand-alone children’s literature and basal anthologies to help students better understand setting, learn to analyze characters and draw inferences and make predictions
- Help Your Students Make Sense of and Learn from Informational Text
Discover the key elements to help students uncover the most important details and main ideas in nonfiction text … How to help students identify the key facts, illustrations, headings, and make connections to other text
- Increase Students’ Reading Skills Using Collaborative Oral and Written Response Tasks
Super easy strategies to engage your K-2 students in talking about what they read, hear and see in order to better prepare them for reading and writing … Retelling and responding strategies you won’t want to miss
- How to Use Your Reading Program and Materials for Greater Reading Results
Learn high-impact, low-prep strategies that work with whatever reading materials you are using
- Fine-Tune Your Reading Program for Dramatic Results Learn ways to make minor adjustments for major results … Meaningful modifications you can make to increase students’ reading achievement
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Dozens of high-impact, low-prep strategies that maximize the reading growth of all your students – from the struggling to the high-achieving
- Strategies to build a strong vocabulary – especially for students who struggle with language and have less exposure to text
- Innovative ways to focus your small group and whole group reading instruction for greater results
- Strategies to support close reading of text
- Numerous resources you can easily access that will increase your teaching options
- Fun and easy ways to get all your students talking and engaging in meaningful discussions to greatly strengthen their comprehension
- How you can combine your fiction and nonfiction text into units of learning to seamlessly integrate reading and writing
- Moving to more complex text in grades K-2 – it can be done!
- Help your students master the range of skills they need to become successful readers
- Numerous ways to get all your students asking meaningful questions about what they read
- Collaborative oral and written response tasks that support English Language Learners, low?language learners as well as your advanced and typical learners
- High-impact reading strategies you can use to focus your instruction based on student strengths and weak areas
- Practical and efficient ideas to pull your literacy program together using your required materials along with innovative resources and strategies for a highly successful, total literacy program
- Specific strategies to better address the wide range of reading readiness levels, comprehension and fluency skills of all your students
- Using stand-alone children’s literature and basal anthologies to help students better understand setting, learn to analyze characters and draw inferences and make predictions
- How to use your reading program and materials for greater reading results
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
The world of reading for K-2 students is special and unique. They come to us with so much excitement and desire to learn, and at the same time, an extremely wide range of experiences and knowledge to prepare them for reading. During our day together I will share numerous, student-proven reading strategies to strengthen and accelerate all your students’ reading skills – all in easy and doable ways – regardless of the background experiences they bring!
In this innovative and engaging seminar, we will explore many practical reading strategies and activities you can use immediately with your students – struggling and typical learners. We will look at ways to better focus your instruction on the specific reading skills your students need – starting with the foundational skills and moving to comprehension and understanding of more complex text. I also have many ways to seamlessly weave writing with reading that will greatly enhance your students’ total literacy growth. One of my favorite ways of integrating fiction and nonfiction is by creating high-interest units of learning using the books and anthologies you have available – and I am excited to share these ideas with you!
My goal is for you to leave this seminar with renewed enthusiasm as a teacher of reading along with numerous ideas, strategies and resources you can use to greatly increase your students’ reading growth. I look forward to meeting you and sharing dozens of ready-to-use reading strategies perfect for grades K-2 students!
P.S. You will also receive the extensive resource handbook I wrote specifically for this seminar filled with strategies, ideas and materials you can use in your K-2 classroom.
Who Should Attend
Grades K-2 Classroom Teachers, Title I Staff, Reading Specialists, Literacy Coaches, Special Education Staff, Interventionists, and Administrators
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Easy-to-implement reading lessons to support all your readers
- Lessons that focus on the different text types
- Specific ideas for your struggling readers
- How to integrate writing to increase reading skills
- Ready-to-use strategies to accelerate students’ word knowledge
- Dozens of resources, book titles, lessons, and activities for K-2 reading programs
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other grades K-2 educators seeking practical strategies to maximize their students ’ reading growth.
Diane Murphy will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own reading program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.