Best Strategies to Increase the Effectiveness and Impact of Your SCHOOL LIBRARY PROGRAM (Grades K-12)
Presented by Kristen Mattson
Specifically Designed for School Librarians, Media Specialists, Library Aides, Resource Teachers, and Administrators Serving Grades K-12
- Discover the best strategies to increase the effectiveness and impact of your school library program … Get your library program back on track in the post-pandemic school year
- The latest trends to maximize and update your curriculum … Become the media and information leader your school needs
- Timesaving tips that will increase your efficiency in responding to the diverse academic needs of students and school staff
- Proven methods to transition your teaching and library presence that result in greater student engagement and staff use
Practical Ideas and Strategies
The role of the school library media specialist continues to evolve. Once thought of as mere “keepers of the books” or presenters of good stories, they are now called upon to be academic collaborative instructors with expertise in developing media and information literate digital citizens. In this timely and highly practical seminar, experienced school librarian Kristen Mattson will share how to use a highly effective, multi-faceted approach to librarianship. She will provide more than 100 innovative ideas, practical strategies and resources to increase the effectiveness and impact of your school library program. Kristen will share proven ways to better advocate for your school library to increase community and family partnerships. She will share proven ways to rethink collaborative projects and update library spaces to create a more future-ready, student-centered library environment. You will leave this seminar with a plethora of practical, best practices for both the novice and the experienced librarian.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Increase the Effectiveness of Your School Library Program: Meeting the Challenges of our Information Landscape
Learn how to make your library program more engaging and an essential part of the school … Ways to position yourself and your library as a neutral information hub in a politically charged media landscape.
- Explore the Latest Trends in School Libraries – What Are They and Do You Need Them in Your Library?
Makerspaces, coding, gaming, escape rooms, 3-D printers, STEM and STEAM activities are now in many libraries … Find out if you need to invest time learning about them and spend money purchasing them
- Position Yourself as a Leader in Digital Citizenship and Media Literacy
More teachers are recognizing the need for digital citizenship and media literacy lessons … Help your staff through resources and teaching tips
- Support Your Curriculum and Teach Information Literacy Skills at All Levels
Discover powerful literature to captivate students while introducing subject-area content and information literacy skills
- Strengthen Your Students’ Information Literacy Skills Using the National School Library Standards for Learners
Be sure that what you are teaching is relevant, reasonable and worth remembering by understanding the new standards from AASL
- Utilize the Best Tech Tools that will Engage Your Students and Support Their Learning
Using technology does not have to be complicated … Learn the best apps that will meet specific educational needs of your students and teachers
- Increase Interest in and Usage of Your School Library
Making your library the “hub” of the school is easier than you think! Here’s how! Develop a “Culture of Inquiry” throughout your school
- Promote Independent Inquiry with Students at all Levels
We want our students to be good readers … Find ways to get them in the library to learn and grow!
- Engage Families and Stakeholders
Literacy is a team effort … Learn practical ways to include parents and community members in your work
- Receive an Extensive School Library Media Digital Resource Handbook
Leave the seminar with a comprehensive digital handbook that you will refer to in the days ahead to revisit ideas presented in this seminar … These current ideas, strategies and materials will strengthen and enhance your school library program
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- The best of the best ideas for strengthening your entire school library media program … Proven ways to reinvigorate and re-imagine your library program for the upcoming school year
- Tips to save time and energy so you are better able to work with students
- The latest trends in school library services that would be most meaningful for your students and will highly impact your students’ learning
- Dozens of ways to update your library and make it more student-centered
- Proven ideas for creating a culture of inquiry for your school, beginning in the library
- Tips for scheduling to maximize student learning
- Examples of lessons based on National School Library Standards for Students
- Highly recommended resources and help in deciding which ones apply to your students’ learning needs
- Ways to use readily available data to tell the story of your library
- How to gain greater support for your school library program
- Exemplary library policies that are inclusive, not exclusive
- Engaging methods to attract student readers
- Procedures that make daily library practices flow
- Innovative suggestions for collaborating and co-teaching across the content areas
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Extensive research and anecdotal records indicate that quality school library programs significantly impact student achievement. I understand the importance of finding time to collaborate, plan, build a collection and meet the needs of teachers and learners in your school. I have had the opportunity to learn, share and study best practices in school libraries across the country.
My goal in this seminar is to provide you with time and space to examine your current practice and build on your successes. Examples of outstanding lessons, project-based unit ideas, and phenomenal resources will be presented. Our day will be filled with useful strategies and suggestions that will enable you to rethink your current practices, expand student-centered learning and enable you to effectively reach students, teachers and the entire learning community.
More than 100 strategies, resources and tips will be presented. I look forward sharing practical ways to help you get your school library program reinvigorated and ready for the upcoming school year.
P.S. This seminar will focus on the best, most current, extremely practical and student-centered ideas that you can begin using right away!
Who Should Attend
School Librarians, Media Specialists, Library Aides, Resource Teachers, and Administrators Serving Grades K-12
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive digital resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Highly practical strategies
- Ideas for collaborating on media literacy, information literacy, and digital citizenship
- Information included on best practices, Future Ready Librarians, AASL National School Library Standards, ESSA, and advocacy
- Curricular resources you won’t want to miss
- Pointers for engaging families and stakeholders
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in increasing the effectiveness of their school library program.
Kristen Mattson will be available to answer your specific questions and the unique needs of your own program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.