Using iPads®, Apps and Online Tools to Teach SCIENCE
Presented by Jaime Bailey
Specifically Designed for Educators Serving Grades K-5: Classroom Teachers, Science Specialists, Instructional Coaches, Title I Staff, Science Specialists, Technology Integration Specialists, Instructional Assistants, and Administrators
- The best iPad apps and web tools for teaching elementary science in ways your students will love – and how to adapt these tools to meet your students’ needs
- Dozens of practical, proven ideas for using iPads to motivate your students and capture their natural interest in science
- Powerful, readily available technology tools to significantly increase student understanding and achievement in life, earth and physical science
- Proven strategies for using iPads to scaffold students in the Next Generation Science Standards
- Timesaving techniques for using technology to integrate language arts and science instruction in ways that tie together learning for your students
- Receive both a hard-copy resource handbook and an e-handbook filled with quality apps, websites and valuable iPad resources, as well as practical, classroom-proven strategies for using this powerful technology to enhance your science instruction
You are welcome to bring your own fully charged iPad but it is not a requirement to attend this seminar.
iPad® is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries
Practical Ideas and Strategies
iPads are superb learning devices that open a whole new world of interactive, engaging teaching and learning opportunities in elementary science. Although science has often taken a back seat to reading, writing and mathematics, the study of science can be used to integrate the skills our students need in all areas of the curriculum. In fact, science and engineering practices open the door to inquiry and critical thinking which are essential skills students need in order to master standards across the curriculum.
In this fast-paced, app-filled, NEW seminar, you will see how iPads increase your access to exceptional science resources and provide valuable opportunities for deeper inquiry that integrate the skills and concepts our students need to know. You will gain dozens of practical, “take right back to your classroom” ideas for using the iPad to significantly increase elementary science and engineering achievement. Whether you have one iPad, enough for each learner or for groups, you will gain valuable activities to actively engage students in life, earth and physical science.
Outstanding elementary teacher, curriculum coordinator and national presenter, Jaime Bailey, will provide you with highly engaging ideas for teaching science, the best resources for student self-assessment and feedback, and lists of outstanding apps to increase your access to the latest innovative science resources. She has combined her teaching and curriculum expertise to research the most effective iPad apps and tools to help teachers teach science in ways that will ignite students’ natural curiosity and strengthen their science achievement.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Explore the Power of iPads for Teaching Elementary Science
Learn fun, practical strategies for using iPads in ways that nurture students’ interest in science and embrace the inquiry process of learning … How to begin building the science “practices” that are key components of the Next Generation Science Standards
- Discover the Best, Highly Motivating Apps for Life, Earth and Physical Science
Explore ways to use interactive apps to boost your students’ conceptual knowledge and skills in science … No-cost, low-cost ideas with great appeal and impact!
- Receive Timesaving Tips for Getting the Most from iPad Technology for Science
Discover practical ideas and tips for managing your technology resources for science, whether you have one iPad or enough for one-to-one learning … Lab ideas and proven ways to best use the technology you have available
- Strengthen Students’ Conceptual Knowledge in Science with iPads
Challenge your students with remarkable, innovative problem-solving apps … Strategies to help students learn and apply key science concepts
- Here They Are: Valuable Tips for Getting Outstanding Free Resources for Science
Here’s how to provide your students with quick, efficient ways to access free, high-quality information about any science topic using Quick Response (QR) codes … Discover how you can save yourself time by organizing the best science resources with Symbaloo
- Discover the Best, Most Remarkable Websites for Elementary Science
Explore websites that will amaze your students, capture their interest and exponentially increase your collection of outstanding science resources … See multiple web-based resources to build your students’ science background knowledge
- Boost Your Students’ Motivation and Engagement with Electronic Science Notebooks
Learn how iPad apps, photographs and movies can be used to illustrate basic scientific concepts in ways that students can write about them and question them … Tips for assessing student understanding and providing feedback that improve performance
- Unleash the Power of Gamification to Teach Critical Science Concepts
Explore the power of gamification to incorporate science content in ways that fully engage, motivate and excite students … Increase their confidence and comprehension in ways they love to learn
- Integrate Reading and Writing Skills in Your Science Instruction
Learn practical ways to integrate the reading and writing skills your students are mastering with your science instruction … Innovative ideas for expanding reading and writing opportunities and tying together learning in ways that make sense to students
- Receive an Outstanding, Ready-to-Use Science Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive a comprehensive resource handbook and access to Jaime’s website filled with practical ideas, apps, web tools, and valuable strategies for using iPads to enhance your elementary science instruction
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Dozens of powerful, practical ideas for using apps and tools for iPads to increase students’ success in science
- How to use iPads to create engaging learning experiences in science
- Explore core ideas of living organisms and ecosystems through apps and web-based resources
- Step-by-step demonstrations to take advantage of the rich array of ready-to-use apps and resources for your iPad
- Practical strategies for using the best apps to help students attain critical science skills
- Effective techniques for using the iPad to teach fundamental concepts in life, earth and physical science
- Valuable ideas to incorporate technology into science lab experiments
- Tips and tools for using the iPad as an electronic science notebook
- How gamification can be used to teach physical science concepts
- Timesaving ideas that make your life easier, both in and out of the science classroom
- New ways to use interactive apps to increase problem solving, critical thinking and concept development
- How to strengthen the science inquiry process by using the iPad to record observations, data and conclusions
- Explore Earth systems – atmosphere, hydrosphere, geosphere, and biosphere – with the support of iPads and electronic resources
- Valuable tips to get the most from even one iPad in your classroom
- Where to find a variety of outstanding apps and web-based tools to increase classroom science resources
- A wealth of ways to fully engage your students in collaborative learning to boost their understanding and mastery of science standards
- How to design outstanding science lessons with iPads and online tools to meet the needs of ALL students
- A wealth of ideas and ready-to-use tools for using iPad apps and cutting-edge resources to make science come alive!
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
My experience as an elementary teacher from kindergarten to sixth grade has highlighted my passion for providing students with highly engaging student-driven learning experiences. Today we are challenged to prepare our students for college and work readiness experiences that will no doubt include technology not yet experienced. I have found that starting with highly motivating science instruction that builds on students’ natural curiosity is the bridge to their future achievement.
I strongly believe that science and engineering are the gateways to critical thinking and developing the conceptual skills students need to understand the world around them. Both critical thinking and conceptual development are considered the foundation to innovation that is needed for our students’ future success.
Most importantly, teaching elementary science introduces students to a fascinating world they are eager to discover. I have seen students come alive when they can virtually dissect organisms, when they can take a 3D look at body systems, or when they watch the miracle of plant growth – all made possible in exciting new ways with iPad apps and online resources that were unavailable only a few years ago. My students are amazed by the study of science and always eager to learn more. In addition, they can see how the language arts and math skills they are mastering are important to understanding science and sharing the excitement of their discoveries.
This seminar is focused on sharing outstanding iPad resources and teaching strategies to make science a vibrant, exciting subject for you to teach and your students to learn. You will discover valuable teaching strategies, timesaving tips, practical ways for students to self-monitor their learning, plus outstanding science and engineering apps you can easily integrate into your science instruction. All of these ideas are easily adapted to strengthen your current science curriculum. Plus it will be FUN!
I am looking forward to meeting you at the seminar. This will be an active, fast-paced day, filled with demonstrations, activities, and practical, classroom-proven strategies for using the iPad to teach elementary science. No matter what your current level of competence with the iPad is and whether you have one or several of them to use, you will leave with abundant ideas and tools for using an iPad to teach science in ways your students will love.
P.S. I know how valuable your time is so I have planned this day to be filled with practical and easy to implement tips for you to take back and implement the next day in your science instruction. Oh, and I guarantee we will have lots of FUN!
Who Should Attend
Educators Who Teach Science in Grades K-5: Classroom Teachers, Special Education Staff, Instructional Coaches, Title I Staff, Science Specialists, Technology Integration Specialists, Instructional Assistants, and Administrators.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive hard copy resource handbook and access to Jaime’s e-handbook, specifically designed for this seminar. Included in the handbook are:
- Dozens of highly effective apps and valuable strategies for using the iPad to teach elementary science
- Ready-to-use management tips for using iPads whether you have one or enough for all students to have their own
- Timesaving ideas to make the best use of iPads in teaching life, earth and physical science in grades K-5
- Powerful tips for using free or inexpensive apps for science in ways that appeal to your students
- Highly effective strategies for using iPads to build on your students’ natural curiosity about science
Make the Best Use of Your Time:
Our goal is to make the best use of your time during the seminar while providing you with the greatest variety of practical applications for your classroom. To accomplish this goal we use a large screen multimedia projection system to demonstrate specific applications, digital tools and online resources throughout the day rather than individual devices. You are welcome to bring your own fully charged iPad but it is not a requirement to attend. Your resource handbook and access to a specailly created electronic resource will provide you with project ideas and direct links to online resources to support additional hands-on exploration after the seminar.
Jaime Bailey will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions about the unique needs of your own science program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.