Our seminars and customized trainings are now available in a live interactive online format.
Please contact us to request a free quote.
Making the Best Use of Technology
Specifically Designed for School Librarians/Media Specialists, Library Aides and Technology Specialists Serving Grades K-12
- Practical, engaging ideas and activities to integrate innovative technology applications into your library program
- Timesaving ideas for strengthening library communications with websites, newsletters, social networking, and more to showcase your library programs
- The best digital citizenship resources to support student learning in the classroom or home with appropriate social networks and applications
- Proven methods for improving student research using online tools to increase student motivation for effective research
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Today’s students are surrounded by technology, many having been immersed in technology applications and opportunities from an early age. Today’s modern school library is now the hub of technology, utilizing cutting-edge tech tools while providing access to Wi-Fi Internet. The questions many school librarians now ask are, “How do I keep up with all these advances in technology?” “Which technology is most appropriate for a school library and how is it best utilized to enhance and strengthen student learning?” If you are seeking exciting, innovative ways to best use today’s technology to strengthen your library program and increase student achievement, this seminar is for you!
Linda Dougherty, an avowed techie librarian and an award-winning educator and experienced presenter, will share a wealth of resources and ideas for using the latest technology in your library program. This NEW seminar is loaded with a variety of innovative ideas for incorporating the latest, cutting edge technology in your school library program. Whether you are just beginning to explore some of the latest technology available or have been a “techie” for some time now, you will leave this seminar with new ideas, engaging lessons and a better understanding on how to make more effective use of technology to strengthen your school library program and have a positive impact on student learning.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Incorporate the Newest Technology into Your School Library Program
Specific ideas to utilize the newest technology resources, ideal for school libraries
- Utilize the Best Web Resources that Support Your Curriculum
Learn the best-of-the-best web resources that support content … Discover how to increase your impact on student achievement by collaborating with classroom teachers in support of their content
- Make Best Use of Google Tools in Your Library Program
Discover ways Google Tools can increase your time efficiency using free web tools and resources that you can use immediately when you return to your library. Discover ways to more efficiently collaborate and share projects with teachers and students
- Explore the Latest Interactive Technology Tools
Effectively use interactive tools for blogs, podcasting, video conferencing, digital storytelling, image creation, and more. Innovative ways to use these tools to increase student motivation, interest and participation
- Better Manage Internet Research Tools
Enhance the ability to find, organize, and use the information students gather from online resources … Help students increase their ability to distinguish between websites that host accurate information and those that are inaccurate or biased
- Promote a Digital Citizenship Program that Supports Student Learning in a Digitally Connected World
Develop a digital citizenship curriculum that is appropriate for your students … Compare and select free resources appropriate for your library program that support digital learning
- Curate Digital Tools and Resources
Select, organize and share digital resources and tools to support teaching and learning … Build your library program with a collection that supports curriculum and content … Show how students can benefit from organizing their research projects with curation applications
- Design Collaborative Spaces to Help Students and Staff Utilize Technology to Create Digital Products
Create library programs for students to create digital products to showcase their learning that engages them in critical thinking, collaboration and real-world problem solving
- Facilitate Professional Learning by Providing Technology Resources to Support Staff and Students
Provide opportunities for teachers to learn specific ways to use technology to increase student motivation and participation to enhance achievement. Show methods to collect data to support student assessments
- Receive a Comprehensive School Library Resource Handbook
You will leave with a comprehensive school library resource handbook filled with ideas for using the latest tools and technology in your library program. Included in the handbook are dozens of strategies and other resources designed to help enhance your library and have a positive impact on student achievement
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- The best technology tools and how to use them in your library to motivate students and save time
- How future-ready librarians can support their schools with digital tools, resources, and books
- Ways to make better use of online surveys to measure your impact on student achievement
- Ways to use video and digital photography to engage students in learning
- Innovative strategies for using websites and blogs for both teaching and marketing
- How to use Breakout EDU games in your library programming
- Specific ways to strengthen content lessons by integrating technology into your teaching
- Ways to improve your use of Google and Google Tools to support instruction in your library
- Ready-made templates, instructional guides and tutorials that can be used immediately
- How to design a digital citizenship program for your library instruction and ways to share with the classroom teachers and school community
- Timesaving tips and techniques to utilize 1:1 technology in your lesson design and delivery
- The best sources for eBooks and digital storytelling applications
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
Today’s technology is ever-changing and exciting, making it easier for all students to have access to current information. Technology engages students and teachers in a manner that allows the library to truly be the hub of the school. As library staff, we must stay in constant touch with the latest and improved educational technology resources. Most importantly, students’ use of technology should be centered on best instructional practices in the classroom.
Join me as I take you through a day of practical strategies to incorporate the newest technology and other tools to bring your library up-to-date. As an experienced school librarian at the elementary and secondary levels, I have a first-hand understanding of the time restraints and pressures of collaboration. As a teacher librarian, I can bring you innovative technology tools that you will be able to immediately use in your classroom or library. From blogs to websites and creative apps to video creation, these current, reliable technology tools will give you the resources you need to do your job more effectively and more efficiently.
With the importance of digital citizenship for your students, we will look at excellent free resources to build a positive attitude toward using technology that supports collaboration, learning and productivity. We will look at proven ideas for lesson plans that bring multimedia into your classroom or library, allowing your students to use higher thinking skills to meet the demands of your curriculum. By the end of our day, you will have many innovative ideas, as well as a fresh perspective on how you can make technology a more valuable tool that is integrated into your instruction.
As a teacher librarian and professional development facilitator, I know that you’ll find the tools that I share with you immediately useful. I have also created a website to accompany the seminar so that you won’t have to type in the URLs. Best of all, as I find new tools, or old ones disappear, you will still have the best resources in your digital folders. In addition, I am always available to you through email, to provide support after the seminar and to answer any questions.
Join me for this fast-paced, idea-packed day as we discover together all the exciting resources for library educators that are ready to use – within reach of your fingers!
Linda J. Dougherty
P.S. As a veteran school librarian, I understand the extra effort it requires to be out of your library, even for a day. I promise you that our day learning together will be well worth your time and effort to attend.
Who Should Attend
School Librarians/Media Specialists, Library Aides and Technology Specialists Serving Grades K-12
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive school library resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Step-by-step instructions on how to utilize today’s technology in your library
- Lists of video tutorials that will assist you with learning new applications.
- Collection of free or inexpensive web resources and applications that will also be available on line
- Practical ideas for incorporating the latest in both hardware and software to enhance student learning
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other school librarians interested in making best use of technology in their library program.
Linda Dougherty will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own school library program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you’ll be fully satisfied or you’ll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.