Strengthening Your CO-TEACHING Program
Presented by Toby Karten
Specifically Designed for Grades K-12 Special Education Staff, District and School Leaders and Teacher Teams including: General Education Teachers, Special Education Staff and Other Specialists who Co-Teach or are Preparing to Co-Teach as a Part of Their Inclusion Practices
- Learn highly practical co-teaching approaches and how they can be integrated most effectively into your schools and classrooms to establish, maintain, and strengthen your co-teaching programs
- Discover how general educators and specialists can work together with greater success to maximize student learning in co-taught learning environments
- Timesaving ways to develop collaborative support systems for communicating with co-teaching partners to develop highly effective co-teaching models
- Learn dynamic, differentiated techniques for adapting instruction in K-12 co-taught lessons to better meet student needs
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Today’s classrooms are more diverse than ever before and we, as educators, are challenged to meet the needs of all students including those with exceptionalities. Co-teaching is a powerful way to share the roles and responsibilities to strengthen the academic, social, emotional, and behavioral levels of a variety of learners in inclusion classrooms. But what are the most effective ways to go about it? In this outstanding two-day institute, Toby Karten will offer you dozens of practical tips, tools and strategies to assist you in creating a new co-teaching program or strengthening your current co-teaching program.
You will learn how two teachers can work together most efficiently and effectively, numerous ways to differentiate lessons that work best with two teachers, and how to best communicate with your co-teaching partner(s). Co-teaching has the potential to assist educators to create classrooms that recognize and address the range of student abilities by using the expertise of both general educators and specialists. Join Toby and discover the powerful benefits of co-teaching and gain a wealth of new ideas you can use immediately.
A Practical, Two-Day Institute Focused on Strengthening Your Co-Teaching Program
Plan to attend as a school team, department team, district team, or as a school/district leader to gain specific strategies to increase the effectiveness and streamline the planning for your co-teaching program. You will learn how to build on the success of your current program, identify the key components that have the greatest impact on student achievement and find specific areas you need to target for implementation and improvement. Leave equipped with a wealth of the most effective co-teaching strategies to help you accelerate achievement for all of your students, including students with special needs.
Develop a Plan to Increase the Effectiveness of Your Co-Teaching Program: Planning, Scheduling and Evaluating the Co-Teaching Process
Discover the attributes of highly effective co-teaching models and how you can start or strengthen co-teaching in your own department, grade level, school, or district, including building teacher instructional expertise and developing collaborative co-teaching teams. During the two days, you will learn numerous strategies to maximize achievement for your students. Ideas and tips for planning, scheduling and evaluating will be shared along with specific ideas to build relationships between co-teachers to create successful inclusion learning environments. You will also receive an extensive digital resource handbook to help you implement all you learn.
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- How to maximize your students’ learning through effective co-teaching practices … Implications for your own school or district program
- Powerful strategies for using co-teaching to teach and reach students with exceptionalities and maximize instructional effectiveness to promote equitable access and achievement for all students
- Tools to strengthen relationships between co-teaching staff and strengthen each person’s expertise
- Ideas and tips for planning, scheduling and evaluating the co-teaching process
- Grouping structures with high leverage evidence-based practices that maximize learning for all students
- Professional learning activities that help maintain and grow your co-teaching program
- Real-life ways to find time for planning and monitoring co-taught instruction … Ideas that will make the best use of your time, schedules, logistics, and realities
- Proven approaches for overcoming resistance and increasing buy-in
- Successful structures for communicating effectively in co-teaching partnerships
- Dynamic differentiated techniques for adapting instruction and assessment to reach more students
- Tips for using technology in co-teaching
- Strategies to teach students to learn and work in groups in a co-taught learning environment
- Practical tools to clarify roles and responsibilities so both teachers are fully utilized
- Innovative ways to keep rigor and your standards a priority
- Efficient techniques and frameworks for co-planning your lessons so that each child’s specially designed instruction is delivered as you work toward meeting the content standards
- Dozens of instantly usable strategies, innovative tips and techniques you can use and share to strengthen your co-teaching program
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
In my years of experience as a special educator, co-teacher, inclusion coach, and educational consultant, I can firmly state that when evidence-based practices are applied and monitored with fidelity and integrity, student gains follow! Now, imagine you multiply that effectiveness by two! That’s what this unique co-teaching institute is all about! We will explore can-do, and will-do co-teaching practices that proactively connect to staff and student realities. You’ll gain new strategies and resources to achieve highly effective co-teaching partnerships! Co-teaching includes collaboratively planning how to divide tasks with instruction and assessment to support, challenge, and strengthen student learning. General and special educators collaboratively raise the learning for students with and without special needs as they also capitalize on one another’s strengths. Together we will connect the “co-teaching dots” to make that happen in your schools and classrooms.
Together, we will explore the what, how and why for certain practices and how specific co-teaching models and protocols work better for certain pairs and their students with and without specific differences. Yes, there are co-teaching obstacles and challenges, but there are also solutions that acknowledge each learner and each co-teacher as an individual who has strengths, interests, and challenges. This institute will equip you and your colleagues with the essential knowledge and skills that demonstrates how to effectively reach students as co-teaching professionals.
I look forward to meeting you at the institute and sharing many outstanding co-teaching strategies and resources that you’ll be able to use immediately to strengthen your co-teaching program and the achievement of students with and without special needs.
P.S. I can’t wait to share these practices with you, since teaching students with special needs is my passion. And, of course, together is always better!
Who Should Attend
Grades K-12 Special Education Staff, District and School Leaders and Teacher Teams including: General Education Teachers, Special Education Staff and Other Specialists who Co-Teach or are Preparing to Co-Teach as a Part of Their Inclusion Practices
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive co-teaching digital resource handbook designed specifically for this institute. The handbook includes:
- Descriptions of critical co‑teaching components
- Samples of co‑teaching lesson plans across content areas
- Worksheets, reproducibles, and digital resources for organization, instruction, co-planning, monitoring, and documentation
- Teacher‑friendly lists of instructional strategies that work especially well in co‑taught learning environments
- Tips for partner communication
- Tools for evaluating your co‑teaching program
- A bibliography of in person and online co‑teaching resources
Share Ideas with Other Educators
This institute provides a great opportunity for school and district leaders and teams to share ideas with other educators who are also interested in practical ways to strengthen their co-teaching programs.
Toby Karten will be available for consultation regarding your questions about the unique needs of your own co-teaching program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you'll be fully satisfied or you'll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.