Practical Strategies to Address the Challenges of Today’s
Presented by Sandra Moritz, M.Ed., BS, RN, CSN
Specifically Designed for School Nurses, District Nurses and School Health Services Coordinators Serving Grades K-12
- Apply the most up-to-date evidence-based research to better address “Today’s Topics” including cardiac arrests, concussions, asthma, allergies, diabetes, seizures, and the common injuries treated by school nurses
- Respond with greater confidence to school emergencies … Review exemplary protocols and utilize the most up-to-date first aid treatments
- Examine IHPS and emergency plans for the major health concerns in students today
- Strengthen your nursing team and communication skills with parents and colleagues by understanding your nursing style
- Avoid “school nurse burnout” and keep passion for school nursing alive! Use proven wellness tips to stay healthy on the job
- Reduce liability risks with the latest, best practice in standing orders and nursing interventions
- Receive an extensive school nursing practice resource handbook with ready-to-use information, strategies and tools that will assist you in impacting student success on a day-to-day basis
Practical Ideas and Strategies
If you are looking for the current, best ideas and resources to enhance your effectiveness as a school nurse, you will not want to miss this one-day seminar. During this intensive day, outstanding school nurse, Sandra Moritz, will share dozens of proven ways to more effectively address the speed bumps of school nursing to make your practice more efficient as well as safer from hazards and liability.
Sandra will share numerous personal tips and practical ideas she has gathered throughout her extensive school nursing experience that will increase your effectiveness. Research and experience-driven ideas will help you create an atmosphere that reduces the stress from the varied challenges you experience in your role as a school nurse and student health advocate. You’ll learn practical ways to more effectively address a variety of today’s school health issues including pediculosis and bed bugs, managing frequent flyers, prioritizing care and avoiding medication errors.
You’ll leave this seminar with an extensive school nursing practice resource handbook as well as dozens of ideas you will be able to use immediately to enhance your practice as a school nurse.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Address Unsafe Practice Areas – Reduce Liability in Issues for Today’s School Nurse
Use the latest strategies and ideas to address the common problems school nurses experience … Strengthen and protect your nursing practice from undue risks
- Utilize the Latest Perspectives on Standing Orders and Nursing Interventions in Your School Nursing Practice
Incorporate the best standing orders and nursing interventions in your practice to maintain common standards at all building levels … Avoid the common pitfalls in school nursing which expose districts to liability
- Utilize Current Best Practices to Deal with Life-Threatening Emergencies
Increase your confidence to manage critical emergencies in schools … Be prepared from the 911 call to the ambulance “hand off”
- Identify the Latest Products Available for Delivery of Care to Students
See the latest “tools of the trade” for the health office
- Prioritize Care to Increase Safety in Your Practice
Work more effectively with parents and staff to deliver care to the most ill students … Avoid “missing” important symptoms
- Address the Challenges of Students with Somatization
Apply strategies of intentional interviewing to assist students in knowing when they need the school nurse
- School Nurse Survival Tips to Stay Well in the Health Office
Stay healthy in your role as the school nurse … Survival tips to avoid school nurse burnout and stress
- Improve Collaboration and Communication with Your School Nurse Colleagues
Gain tips on how to improve collaboration and communication with parents and colleagues … Understand how nursing styles contribute to leadership on your nursing teams
- Recognize the Expanded Role of the School Nurse
Implement strategies to treat common conditions seen in the school nurse’s office, including splinting and assessments
- Receive a Detailed School Nursing Practice Resource Handbook
Each participant will leave this seminar with an extensive school nursing resource handbook filled with practical strategies, techniques, activities, and resources that can be used immediately in your school health office
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Practical ideas that will increase your effectiveness as a school nurse
- Critical information and first aid tips on emergency care for school nurses today
- What every school nurse must know about sudden cardiac arrest and the Automated External Defibrillator (AED)
- The essential knowledge to support school staff during field trips including life-threatening allergic reactions and epinephrine
- How to positively and effectively respond to frequently visiting students and prioritizing care
- Ways to maintain a common standard with your standing orders and nursing interventions, including commonly used forms that will help standardize student health care across buildings
- The essential principles of creating a safe medication policy that conforms to your Nurse Practice Act
- How to more effectively negotiate common speed bumps in school nursing – address “biohazards” of the job
- Effective leadership strategies when working with a variety of nursing styles
- Learn practical tips in dealing with common injuries seen by the school nurse
- How to recognize the mysterious symptoms of Lyme disease
- What’s new in equipment for the school nurse’s office
- Practical suggestions to find your passions in school nursing and stay healthy on the job
- Create fun health events for your students and staff that will motivate them to adopt healthier lifestyles
- Positive, proactive ways of handling the “small nuisances” school nurses encounter daily
- Methods to maximize the contributions of your School Health Team Members by utilizing each of their strengths
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
As school nurses, we are challenged daily in our school health offices with students and staff who have serious health concerns. As a school nurse with extensive experience in school nursing, I have had many opportunities to address a variety of school health issues. I have created this seminar to help you more effectively address these challenges and gain a new vitality as well as provide practical information for a progressive school nursing practice! School nursing is always in transition. To stay current in our role, standards of care and programs must reflect the latest information and requirements present in our jobs. I have picked topic areas that I believe are relevant, interesting and common speed bumps for school nurses. My love of teaching health has moved me to create fun and innovative programs that help motivate healthy behavior among students and staff.
Enjoy a day with other school nurses, learn new strategies to handle the challenges of our career and take some time to share practical ways to positively address our common issues. I look forward to sharing my expertise with you and to learn of your experiences in our very unique practice of school nursing. We will examine together the speed bumps of health services and explore the standards for a consistent and safe practice. We can only meet the needs of our students and staff if we are taking the best care of ourselves. Wellness tips to avoid common burnout of health professionals will also be presented. My goal is that you leave this seminar feeling refreshed and better equipped to handle the stressors of our jobs.
Sandra Moritz, M.Ed., BS, RN, CSN
P.S. You will receive an extensive school nursing resource handbook containing the above information and more!
Who Should Attend
School Nurses, School Nurse Practitioners, District Nurses and School Health Coordinators, and School Nurse Administrators serving grades K-12.
Special Benefits of Attending
You’ll Receive an Extensive and Comprehensive School Nursing Practice Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. It contains strategies, ideas and resources including documents, samples of forms and websites you can use in your school nursing practice.
Materials on Display
These include sample nursing interventions and orders, resource books, manuals, and other materials related to health education.
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a great opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other school nurses interested in enhancing their skills.
Sandra Moritz will be available at the seminar to answer questions about your own unique school practice needs.
Semester Credit Option
Graduate level professional development credit is available with an additional fee and completion of a follow-up practicum project. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at the seminar.
Meet Inservice Requirements
At the end of the program, each attendee will receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify hours of participation in meeting continuing education requirements.
Can't Make it?
Related PD Resources