Practical Strategies to Address the Challenges of Today’s School Nurse
Presented by Sandra Moritz, BS, RN, M.Ed.
Specifically Designed for School Nurses, District Nurses and School Health Services Coordinators Serving Grades K-12
Be prepared for the “Six Big Emergencies” in school nursing today
- Apply evidence-based research to address “Today’s Topics” including sudden cardiac arrests, concussions, asthma, allergies, diabetes, and seizures
- Strengthen communication and motivate fellow nursing staff to create a cohesive and efficient health services team
- Avoid “school nurse burnout” … Use proven wellness tips to stay healthy on the job
- Reduce liability risks with best practice standing orders and nursing interventions
- Receive a detailed school nursing practice resource handbook with ready-to-use information, strategies and tools that will assist you with your work to impact student success on a day-to-day basis
Practical Ideas and Strategies
If you are looking for the current, best ideas and resources to enhance your effectiveness as a school nurse, you will not want to miss this seminar. During this intensive one-day seminar, outstanding school nurse Sandra Moritz will share dozens of proven ways to more effectively address the speed bumps of school nursing to make your practice more efficient as well as safer from hazards and liability.
Sandra will share numerous personal tips and practical ideas she has gathered throughout her 30 plus years of school nursing experience that will increase your effectiveness. Research and experience-driven ideas will help you create an atmosphere that reduces the stress from the varied challenges you experience in your role as a school nurse and student health advocate. You’ll learn practical ways to more effectively address a variety of today’s school health issues including pediculosis and bed bugs, managing frequent flyers, prioritizing care and avoiding medication errors.
You’ll leave this seminar with an extensive school nursing practice resource handbook as well as dozens of ideas you will be able to use immediately to enhance your practice as a school nurse.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
Discover Unsafe Practice Areas – Navigate the Speed Bumps of School Nursing
Use the latest strategies and ideas to address the common problems school nurses experience … Strengthen and protect your nursing practice from undue risks
- Utilize the Latest Perspectives on Standing Orders and Nursing Interventions in Your School Nursing Practice
Incorporate the best standing orders and nursing interventions in your practice to maintain common standards at all building levels … Avoid common documentation errors which expose districts to liability
- Utilize Current Best Practices to Deal with Life-Threatening Emergencies
Increase your confidence to manage critical emergencies in schools
- Identify the Latest Products Available for Delivery of Care to Students
See the “latest tools of the trade” for the school health office
- Prioritize Care to Increase Safety in Your Practice
Work more effectively with parents and staff to deliver care to the most ill students … Learn “The 5 B’s” (broken bones, bleeding, barfing, breathing, and brains!)
- Address the Challenges of Students with Somatization
Apply strategies of intentional interviewing to assist students in knowing when they need the school nurse
- School Nurse Survival Tips to Stay Well in the Health Office
Stay healthy in your role as the school nurse … Survival tips to avoid school nurse burnout and stress
- Improve Collaboration and Communication with Your School Nurse Colleagues
Gain tips on how to improve collaboration and communication with nursing colleagues … Understand how each nursing style contributes to your team’s effectiveness
- Understand the Issues of Delegation in Your Practice
Comply with your Nurse Practice Act to address the changes in the school nurses’ environment … Here’s how
- Receive a Detailed School Nursing Practice Resource Handbook
Each participant will leave this seminar with an extensive school nursing resource handbook filled with practical strategies, techniques, activities, and resources that can be used immediately in your school health office
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
Practical ideas that will increase your effectiveness as a school nurse
- Critical information on emergency preparedness for school nurses today
- What every school nurse must know about sudden cardiac arrest and the Automatic External Defibrillator (AED)
- The essential knowledge to support school staff during field trips including life-threatening allergic reactions and epinephrine
- How to positively and effectively respond to frequently visiting students and prioritizing care
- Ways to maintain a common standard with your standing orders and nursing interventions, including commonly used forms that will help standardize student health care across buildings
- The essential principles of creating a safe medication policy that conforms to your Nurse Practice Act
- How to more effectively negotiate common speed bumps in school nursing – address “biohazards” of the job
- Effective leadership strategies when working with a variety of nursing styles
- Learn critical, time-sensitive actions in dealing with dental emergencies
- How to avoid common medication errors in school nursing
- What’s new with the medications that are commonly administered by the school nurse
- Practical suggestions to keep you healthier in your role as a school nurse
- Create fun health events for your students and staff that will motivate them to adopt healthier lifestyles
- Positive, proactive ways of handling the “small nuisances” all school nurses encounter daily
- Methods to maximize the contributions of your School Health Team Members by utilizing each of their
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
As school nurses, we are challenged daily in our school health offices with students and staff who have serious health concerns. As a school nurse with 30 plus years of experience in school nursing, I have had many opportunities to address a variety of school health issues. I have created this seminar to help you more effectively address these challenges and gain a new vitality as well as provide practical information for a progressive school nursing practice!
School nursing is always in transition. To stay current in our role, standards of care and programs must reflect the latest information and requirements present in our jobs. I have picked topic areas that I believe are relevant, interesting and common speed bumps for school nurses. My love of teaching health has moved me to create fun and innovative programs that help motivate healthy behavior among students and staff.
Enjoy a day with other school nurses, learn new strategies to handle the challenges of our career and take some time to share practical ways to positively address our common issues. I look forward to sharing my expertise with you and to learn of your experiences in our very unique practice of school nursing.
We will examine together the speed bumps of health services and explore the standards for a consistent and safe practice. We can only meet the needs of our students and staff if we are taking the best care of ourselves. Wellness tips to avoid common burnout of health professionals will also be presented. My goal is that you leave this seminar feeling refreshed and better equipped to handle the stressors of our jobs.
Sandra Moritz, BS, RN, M.Ed.
P.S. I look forward to sharing my expertise with you and to learn of your experiences in our very unique practice of school nursing.
Who Should Attend
School Nurses, School Nurse Practitioners, District Nurses and School Health Coordinators, and School Nurse Administrators serving grades K-12.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. It contains strategies, ideas and resources including documents, samples of forms and websites you can use in your school nursing practice.
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a great opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other school nurses interested in enhancing their skills.
Sandra Moritz will be available at the seminar to answer questions about your own unique school practice needs.
Semester Credit Option
Graduate level professional development credit is available with an additional fee and completion of a follow-up practicum project. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at the seminar.
Meet Inservice Requirements
At the end of the program, each attendee will receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify hours of participation in meeting continuing education requirements.