Practical Strategies for Using TPRS to Accelerate the Proficiency of Every Foreign Language Learner
Presented by Peggy Kleinhenn
Step-by-step, classroom-proven strategies for integrating TPRS (Teaching Proficiency Through Reading and Storytelling) into your existing lessons and curriculum
- Outstanding, ready-to-use ideas that help students achieve true communicative competence and greatly increase their motivation and achievement
- Dozens of innovative demonstration lessons that will save you time, spark your creativity and revitalize your language program
- Highly effective reading and writing strategies that motivate even your most reluctant learners and increase their oral and written proficiency
- Demonstrations, role plays, sample TPRS stories, reading and writing activities, and a comprehensive foreign language resource handbook
Practical Ideas and Strategies
More than ever before, today’s foreign language teachers need innovative, practical, classroom-proven activities and instructional strategies to keep their students motivated and actively involved.
In this outstanding new seminar you will learn how TPRS (Teaching Proficiency Through Reading and Storytelling) does this so well. Designed specifically for foreign language educators who want to significantly increase their students’ oral, written and reading proficiency at all levels of foreign language, this seminar will enhance your effectiveness and give you a wealth of TPRS materials and strategies you can use immediately with your own foreign language students.
Whether you are already familiar with TPRS or you are at the beginning stages of using it, you will receive dozens of “right back to your classroom” ideas and methods to hone your skills and incorporate TPRS into your curriculum most effectively. Award-winning teacher and talented presenter, Peggy Kleinhenn, will present step-by-step demonstrations that will provide you with creative, insightful and hands-on teaching tools and enable you to experience TPRS through the eyes and ears of the student.
You will come away with dozens of innovative techniques and a wealth of materials for bringing your language teaching to a whole new level while creating a powerful language-learning environment that enables your students to become more competent communicators in the target language. Above all, this seminar is practical and hands-on. Every idea and strategy that Peggy shares has been used in her own classroom and has proven successful with hundreds of students, even those who find it most challenging to learn another language.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
Learn Classroom-Proven Strategies from an Experienced TPRS Teacher
As an experienced TPRS teacher with more than 25 years of classroom experience, Peggy has developed creative techniques to improve students’ proficiency and participation at all levels of foreign language … You’ll come away inspired to implement new ideas
- Experience the Power of TPRS to Enhance Your Instruction
Peggy invites participants to be the students in a beginning language lesson as she demonstrates the TPRS method … Participants say this experience is a defining moment in changing how they view language learning and instructional design
- Understand Why and How TPRS Works
Experience firsthand the power of language acquisition through TPRS and see how it is based on the natural way we learn our first language … How to keep students actively engaged in a fun, non-stressful environment
- Motivate ALL Your Students, Even Your Most Reluctant Learners
How to incorporate real situations and conversations into your classroom to help students experience success … Use innovative reading and writing strategies that keep students motivated and build on their enthusiasm
- Learn How to Create Powerful Language Learning Experiences
Discover the easy steps of TPRS that incorporate listening, speaking, reading, and writing … How to use these steps to create story-based lessons that accelerate student learning
- Incorporate Total Immersion in All Levels of Foreign Language
Acquire a wealth of highly effective, practical strategies that will encourage students to speak only in the target language … How to provide those “just right” opportunities that promote full participation
- Use Reading Strategies to Enhance Students’ Oral and Written Proficiency
Discover unique ways to integrate reading into oral and written activities that will motivate students, keep them involved and promote success for all … Proven techniques to increase students’ oral and written proficiency
- Increase Program Enrollment and Student Retention
Discover how the success of your students learning a foreign language will bring more students to your program and keep them there through upper-level classes
- Create a Language Learning Environment that Enables ALL Students to Succeed
Learn the keys to creating a stress-free classroom where students are fully engaged … How to eliminate the fear of making mistakes and learn from them instead
- Receive an Extensive Foreign Language Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook filled with a wealth of materials specifically designed for this seminar … Step-by-step explanations for applying the steps of TPRS, sample lessons and readings, and dozens of activities for engaging students and maximizing their use of the target language
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
How to apply the proven principles of TPRS to create a highly effective environment for language acquisition
- Cutting-edge strategies to accelerate and enhance student learning
- Innovative techniques to develop literacy skills, enhance students’ reading comprehension and help them develop a love for reading in the target language
- How you can utilize TPRS to differentiate foreign language instruction
- Why acquisition versus learning is the key to proficiency
- How to use “circling techniques” that actively engage your students
- What the power of an immersion classroom feels like with a hands-on demonstration
- Ten easy steps to integrate TPRS into your curriculum
- How to create a stress-free classroom that promotes student confidence and enthusiasm
- Powerful activities that are so fun, engaging and effective that students won’t even realize they are learning
- How to use “Pop Up Grammar” to improve grammatical accuracy
- Discover “translation-based comprehension checks” that encourage and guide students to communicate exclusively in the target language
- Innovative ways to use reading as a bridge to oral and written proficiency
- How to integrate TPRS into your curriculum using your existing textbooks
- Dozens of reading strategies that you can use immediately in your classroom
- Classroom-proven activities that will increase student participation and maximize classroom use of the target language
- “Yes/No Warm-Up Activities” that will ease students into vocabulary acquisition
- How to create stories using fairy tales and pictures
- Timesaving tips for storytelling, lesson planning and assessment
- Ready-made rubrics for quick implementation in the classroom
- Dozens of Web resources for TPRS that will connect you to free story downloads, new ideas, groups, research on language acquisition, and information on TPRS conferences
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
I feel I have a special connection with each of you. As a secondary language teacher for over 25 years, I know firsthand the rewards and challenges we all face in teaching a foreign language. There is nothing in the classroom as satisfying as seeing students excited about what they’ve learned and eager to continue mastering another language.
On the other hand, it is also challenging to motivate some students, to find time to create interesting, integrated lessons that take into consideration the different learning styles of our students, and to develop new materials to keep students actively engaged in positive ways. That is why I have developed this lively, hands-on TPRS seminar, to share with you ready-made lessons and outstanding resources that will greatly increase your students’ acquisition of the target language.
Students of all ages are far more effective learners when they are actively engaged in personalized interactions that provide extensive practice needed to develop listening, comprehension and speaking skills. That is the “magic” of TPRS! I will demonstrate how it can be used with your current curriculum and materials in effective, exciting ways to blend reading, writing and speaking together in ways that unquestionably enhance student motivation and learning. Throughout the day, I will give you demonstrations, samples of TPRS stories, reading and writing activities, and engage you in activities that demonstrate the power – and ease – of using TPRS in your classroom.
As teachers, we also know that most students learn best when they are in less stressful learning environments – environments where students are not afraid to make mistakes and where they are fully engaged. To that end, I will share with you a wealth of strategies for creating a classroom environment where all students feel valued, comfortable to try new things and where they experience success on a daily basis.
Please join me for an information-packed day filled with the best methods, strategies and techniques I have found to enhance your teaching repertoire, rekindle your passion for teaching languages, and provide your students with appealing activities that will promote their confidence and boost their success as language learners.
I look forward to meeting you at the seminar.
P.S. Remember, the day will focus on the power of TPRS to help you teach language acquisition skills, with dozens of practical ideas that will energize your teaching and enhance your students’ learning.
Who Should Attend
Foreign Language Teachers and Administrators serving students in Middle Schools, High Schools and Community Colleges.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. Included in the handbook are:
The most current TPRS teaching tips and techniques
- Step-by-step outline for creating highly effective, fun and motivating TPRS lessons
- Sample stories and lesson plans
- Creative ideas for infusing reading and writing into TPRS lessons
- Useful rubrics and graphic organizers
- Highly motivating communicative activities
- A valuable list of Internet resources
Meet and Share
This seminar provides an excellent opportunity for foreign language instructors to meet and share ideas about enhancing their foreign language programs.
Peggy Kleinhenn will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding the unique needs of your own foreign language program.
Semester Credit Option
Graduate level professional development credit is available with an additional fee and completion of a follow-up practicum project. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at the seminar.
Meet Inservice Requirements
At the end of the program, each attendee will receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify hours of participation in meeting continuing education requirements.