Powerful Strategies for Differentiating Instruction in Your WORLD LANGUAGE Classroom
Presented by Alice Kosnik
Designed Specifically for World Language Educators Serving Students in Grades 6-12
- Practical, ready-to-use strategies for differentiating instruction and assessment to meet the diverse needs of your world language students
- Proven techniques for strengthening your students’ achievement and motivation for language learning
- Highly effective, practical, interactive strategies that can be used with beginning through advanced levels in traditional or block schedules
- Dozens of activities, games, tech resources, and techniques that build language proficiency
- Receive an extensive resource handbook filled with ideas, useful websites and apps, games, paired and group activities, and innovative assessments designed to make differentiated instruction work for you and your students
Practical Ideas and Strategies
Today’s world language teachers need practical, classroom-proven, easy-to-implement strategies to meet the needs of their diverse students. This outstanding seminar is designed specifically to provide world language educators with the tools they need to differentiate their instruction and improve the participation and achievement of ALL students. Teachers of all languages and levels will experience a wide variety of activities they can easily and immediately use to improve all students’ learning. You will receive a wealth of “right back to the classroom” strategies to differentiate instruction, diversify your teaching methods, and create a highly motivating and effective learning climate.
Alice Kosnikwill present dozens of practical, research-based ideas to make world language learning more engaging and successful for students of varying learning styles and abilities. Her classroom-proven ideas emphasize brain-compatible communicative techniques, kinesthetic activities, learning games, and a variety of assessment tactics that will strengthen differentiation while respecting the demands on teachers’ time. Outstanding apps and websites that enhance differentiation are included throughout the day.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- Learn from an Outstanding World Language Teacher
As an experienced world language teacher who has been working with students for many years, Alice has developed dozens of practical ideas to differentiate your instruction to improve the participation and achievement of ALL students … Come away rejuvenated and inspired to implement new ideas and strategies that will motivate and engage your world language students
- Use Classroom-Proven Strategies to Differentiate Your Instruction
Provide scaffolding for language acquisition through innovative, active and brain-compatible techniques that match the needs and learning styles of your students … How to incorporate choice and a variety of flexible grouping strategies in your lessons
- Create an Environment in Which All Students Can Experience Success in Language Learning
Discover unique ways to use music, art, manipulatives, kinesthetic and technology-based activities to enhance learning for all types of learners … Practical ideas that can be used to teach all languages and levels
- Meet the Needs of Your Struggling, Learning Disabled, or Reluctant Learners
Apply the latest brain research with a myriad of classroom-proven ideas to make language learning easier for students with special needs … Increase proficiency and achievement with motivating kinesthetic activities, innovative paired and mixer activities, helpful websites and apps, and instructive games
- Learn Effective Ways to Differentiate for Gifted Learners
Incorporate compacting, a variety of tiered assignments and a wealth of practical enrichment activities to increase the enthusiasm, motivation and achievement of your most capable students
- Discover Innovative Techniques to Assess and Reinforce Student Learning
Receive a wealth of creative, visual activities that demonstrate language acquisition … Use motivating web-based resources and hand-held technology tools to enhance language acquisition
- Develop a Supportive Community of Learners
Discover a wealth of collaborative activities that help your diverse students appreciate each other’s uniqueness while increasing meaningful use of the target language
- Make Differentiation Work for You
Explore ways to plan and implement differentiated instruction that fit your teaching style and respect the demands on your time … Learn dozens of ways to differentiate content, process and product without adding stress to your life
- Accelerate Meaningful Communications in the Target Language
Receive a wealth of highly effective strategies that will increase your students’ meaningful use of the target language … Reinforce new language concepts in ways that are so engaging your students won’t realize they are learning
- Receive a Comprehensive World Language Resource Handbook Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook with copy-ready materials specifically designed for this seminar. It is filled with dozens of practical ideas, information and activities for differentiating instruction that you can implement immediately in your own world language classroom
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Proven ideas for differentiating instruction that address various levels of language proficiency of your students
- Popular activities to increase use of the target language with greater confidence and skill
- Proven methods that differentiate content, process and product in order to help all students succeed
- Highly practical tips to engage even your most reluctant learners
- Outstanding online resources, apps and websites that enhance differentiation
- Challenging and motivating activities for high-achieving language learners
- Innovative, active and brain-compatible techniques that match a variety of learning styles
- Strategies for providing choice for both advanced and struggling learners to enhance learning
- Easy ways to appeal to a variety of learning styles through art, music, manipulatives, and kinesthetic activities
- Proven ways to differentiate formative and summative assessments
- How to use games and kinesthetic activities as enjoyable informal assessments
- Classroom-proven procedures to enhance learning for struggling or learning-disabled students
- Highly practical tips for tiered assignments and curriculum compacting for accelerated students and heritage learners
- Organizational tips to reduce stress for teachers and students
- Cooperative and collaborative activities that will work in every world language program
- Innovative ways to discover how our students learn best
- Unique written, auditory and visual strategies that spark student involvement
- Practical, interactive, multi-sensory learning strategies that make communication in the target language rewarding
- New ways to incorporate learning games, movement and creative activities to keep students focused on your language lessons
- Effective ways to implement the latest brain research by using practical strategies to increase the body/mind connection and enhance language development
- Fun, easy ways to create a low-stress, confidence-building environment for students
- A wealth of innovative, practical strategies for implementing the National Standards for World Language Learning in your lessons
- Ideas, ideas, ideas that work for differentiating instruction in any language in both traditional and block schedules
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
As world language teachers in today’s high-stakes, high-standards classrooms, we continually face the challenge of meeting the needs of a diverse student population. We need to challenge our high-achieving students, provide a successful language learning experience for students with learning disabilities, motivate our reluctant learners, and, of course, provide exciting and meaningful learning experiences for everyone. While this can be overwhelming, we can meet these challenges by learning practical ways to differentiate our instruction.
Our students also face challenges. They face huge pressures to succeed academically in our global society. They also work daily with classmates of diverse backgrounds and abilities. While emphasizing world language learning, teachers also strive to empower their students to work with others and to appreciate diversity. The practical strategies for differentiating instruction that I will share with you in this seminar will help you create a supportive environment in which all of your students can experience success in language learning.
Early in my teaching career, I discovered that students learn better when they are actively engaged in lessons that allow their minds and bodies to work together. They also learn more when they use language in meaningful, personal interactions. To that end, I will share easy, affirming and enjoyable ways to enhance language learning and assessment. You’ll learn how to differentiate your lessons through kinesthetic activities, music, art, technology tools, and games that allow students’ bodies and minds to work together. Every idea I will present is highly practical and easy to implement. Most ideas can be implemented tomorrow. Others can be prepared once and used year after year. We will have an exciting day of “learning by doing!”
As a teacher, I know and respect your diverse teaching styles and the demands on your time. I also know that you’ll implement new ideas in a wide variety of settings. Therefore, this seminar on differentiated instruction for your students will be differentiated for you, the teachers, as well! This lively, hands-on seminar will focus on providing a wealth of practical activities guaranteed to increase your students’ enthusiasm and success while fitting your teaching situation.
Please join me for an exciting day of learning, sharing and doing!
Alice M. Kosnik
Who Should Attend
World Language Educators Serving Students in Grades 6-12.
Special Benefits of Attending
You’ll Receive an Extensive World Language Teaching Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. Included in the handbook are:
- Dozens of activities, strategies and tips for differentiating your world language instruction
- Motivating communicative games and activities using manipulatives and movement
- Proven techniques to differentiate content, process and product
- Ready-to-use ideas for increasing communication in the target language
- A wealth of reproducible activities and technology tips
- Techniques for accommodating different learning styles in your classroom instruction
- Highly effective classroom tips and management strategies
World Language Materials on Display
On display will be innovative materials and samples of student work.
Alice Kosnik will be available at the seminar to answer your questions and discuss the unique needs of your own world language program.
Semester Credit Option
Graduate level professional development credit is available with an additional fee and completion of a follow-up practicum project. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at the seminar.
Meet Inservice Requirements
At the end of the program, each attendee will receive a certificate of participation that may be used to verify hours of participation in meeting continuing education requirements.