Practical Strategies for Incorporating the Common Core State Standards Into Your Social Studies Instruction
Presented by Mark Clements
Specifically Designed for Social Studies/History Educators Serving Grades 6-12
- Practical and doable strategies to integrate the rigorous Common Core State Standards into your grades 6-12 social studies/history classes
- Significantly increase student achievement and engagement in your social studies classes while reducing teacher take-home work
- Proven approaches to improve students’ retention and application of key social studies concepts by incorporating the persuasive and research writing elements in the Common Core State Standards
- Free and easy-to-use technology ideas, web-based tools and resources
- Increase student motivation by adding elements of choice and relevance
- Timesaving ideas, strategies, activities, tips, and resources to help you incorporate the Common Core State Standards for reading and writing into your social studies instruction
Practical Ideas and Strategies
While all the excitement surrounding the Common Core State Standards has caused shifts to English/language arts and math instruction, attention is now focusing on the rest of the content areas, including social studies/history classrooms.
In this outstanding, NEW seminar designed specifically for social studies teachers implementing the Common Core State Standards, you will discover a wealth of research-based, practical ideas and strategies for making your classroom the engaging learning environment that both you and your students will look forward to every day. Veteran social studies teacher, Mark Clements, will present you with dozens of creative strategies, ideas and tips to incorporate the Common Core State Standards in simple and doable ways.
You will learn how to increase rigor, enhance content knowledge and improve students’ nonfiction reading and writing while reducing your grading and take-home work! This fast-paced seminar will include classroom-ready strategies that will get your students fully involved, strengthen their motivation and significantly deepen understanding and application of key social studies concepts.
You won’t want to miss this new, cutting-edge seminar for integrating the Common Core State Standards into your social studies classrooms. As a bonus, you’ll receive a valuable resource handbook filled with ideas to use immediately in your own social studies classrooms.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
- What Do the Common Core State Standards Mean for Grades 6-12 Social Studies/History Teachers? Practical Ways to Implement the Standards in Your Current Program
Learn how you can begin to implement the Common Core State Standards into what you already do in your classroom … Ideas for enhancing your social studies instruction to help your students meet the Common Core State Standards in reading and writing
- Discover Practical Strategies to Apply the Common Core State Standards to What You Currently Teach
Gain numerous ideas to apply the key elements of the Common Core State Standards to deepen and enrich the social studies content you’re already teaching … How to help your students retain and connect the key concepts using the Common Core State Standards
- Practical Strategies to Meet the Writing Standards in Social Studies and Reduce Teacher Take-Home Work
The Common Core outlines specific standards for argumentative and informational content writing … Increase the quality and quantity of your students’ content writing using a variety of writing strategies that your students will enjoy doing and you will enjoy reading!
- Increase the Range and Depth of Your Social Studies Instruction
Easy ways to vary the time, tasks, purpose, and audience to tap into your students’ strengths and help them achieve the Common Core State Standards
- Maximize Your Classroom Time Using Elements of a Flipped Classroom
Using elements of the flipped classroom model can save you valuable teaching time … Learn how you can begin to use flipped classroom strategies to maximize your teaching time
- Utilize Powerful Technology Tools … FREE and EASY-TO-USE
Explore a menu of free and easy-to-use technology tools that will motivate students to go the extra mile in their work and enhance traditional social studies assignments … Blogging, instant messaging and web-based tools that align with the Common Core State Standards
- Increase Students’ Critical Thinking and Reading Skills Outlined in the Common Core State Standards
Learn innovative, classroom-proven strategies to raise the bar for all your students … Unique ideas for challenging students in ways that appeal to them and give you the results you want
- Engage Your Students and Bring Greater Relevance to Social Studies
See how you can bring the real world into your classroom by training students to take on the roles of lawyers, politicians, historians, business leaders, and voters … Improve student understanding through novelty and high-interest work
- Timesaving Differentiated Instructional Strategies
Uncover teacher-friendly differentiated strategies that tap into your students’ interests and strengths … Enhance your focus on key objectives and nonfiction writing that can actually make assessments easier and less time consuming for busy teachers
- Take Home a Powerful Resource Handbook Each participant will receive a valuable, extensive resource handbook filled with strategies you can use immediately in any social studies or history classroom … Dozens of ideas that will rejuvenate and inspire both you and your students
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
- Practical and proven classroom strategies to incorporate the Common Core State Standards into your social studies/history instruction
- Timesaving, differentiated lessons and assessments that align with the Common Core State Standards
- Highly effective ideas to increase academic vocabulary by utilizing alternative assessment strategies that require students to read and learn material at a deeper level
- Maximize class time by incorporating elements of the flipped classroom model
- How you can use the Common Core State Standards concepts to increase comprehension of the text your students read
- Inspire students to share their knowledge through presentations and other tools for publication of their learning
- Flexible grouping methods that help you reach more students at their instructional levels
- How to simplify vocabulary instruction to increase student acquisition and retention
- Teach students to research and cite material using credible sources for virtually every assignment you require
- Help students appreciate more rigorous writing and project-based assignments, including homework
- Discover a variety of protocols and structures for student debate – a key to improving students’ research and writing skills that meet the Common Core State Standards
- How to incorporate student blogging, instant messaging and other social media into your more traditional social studies instruction and assignments
- Apply the “rules of the courtroom” as “rules of the classroom” to reinforce civil rights, civic duties and constitutional principles of democracy
- Encourage students to become critical thinkers by applying economic concepts to everyday situations
- Learn how powerful, interdisciplinary units such as Historical Dinner Theater and Crime Scene Investigation can model and increase collaboration while applying content learning to other areas of student life
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
For the social studies teacher, the Common Core State Standards do not represent any additional objectives, facts, names, or dates for our students to memorize. Instead, they represent a dynamic and significant shift in HOW our students go about learning.
Believe it or not, the Common Core State Standards offer many positives for you as a social studies/history educator. For example, would you like to expect more from your students and get it? Would you like your students to take responsibility for their learning and be participants rather than spectators? Would you like to learn how to easily incorporate the Common Core State Standards into what you are already teaching in social studies? If so, this is a seminar you won’t want to miss!
In this idea-packed day, I will share countless, simple and practical strategies for implementing the new Common Core State Standards that can be adapted to any social studies course in grades 6-12. We will cover a variety of strategies including ideas to engage and motivate your students, assessment strategies that reduce your take-home work, how to improve student argumentative and nonfiction writing, help students make connections between the past and present to better retain and apply key social studies concepts, using social media, and much more!
I know how difficult it is to be all that our lives and professions require from us while trying to be a dynamic and influential classroom teacher. Fortunately, I’ve learned through study and experience that by demanding more of our students academically, developing positive relationships and empowering them to become the young leaders they are, our students are capable of extraordinary things that will ensure both their lives and ours are more fulfilling.
Above all, this hands-on seminar is filled with ready-to-use ideas and strategies that will not only help your students meet the Common Core State Standards, but also enrich your teaching and make social studies come alive for your students. I look forward to meeting you and sharing tools and strategies that work!
Who Should Attend
Designed for Social Studies/History Educators Serving Grades 6-12.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
Each participant will receive an extensive resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. The handbook includes:
- Ideas for enhancing your social studies instruction to help your students meet the Common Core State Standards
- Strategies you can use immediately in any social studies or history classroom
- Dozens of ideas that will rejuvenate and inspire both you and your students
- Free and easy-to-use technology tools that will motivate your students
Meet and Share
This seminar provides a wonderful opportunity for participants to meet and share ideas with other educators interested in practical strategies for incorporating the Common Core State Standards to enhance their social studies/history instruction.
Mark Clements will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions and the unique needs of your own social studies/history program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you’ll be fully satisfied or you’ll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.