National Train-the-Trainer Institute
Designed for K-12 teachers, team leaders, instructional coaches, mentors, staff development trainers, and administrators with reading instruction experience
The Most Effective Reading Comprehension Common Core State Standards Train-the-Trainer Program Available (Grades K-5)
Help Your Students Meet or Exceed the Common Core State Standards for Reading by Developing Your Own Trainers!
- The most effective Reading Comprehension Common Core State Standards Train-the-Trainer program available
- Featuring two of the nation's top Reading Experts, Mary Beth Allen and Denise Gudwin
Innovative, Video-Based, Hands-On, Train-the-Trainer Opportunity
- Turn your staff members into skilled, knowledgeable trainers who can guide other teachers in the implementation of practical and effective reading comprehension practices to meet the Common Core State Standards
- Learn how to use outstanding video training clips to demonstrate specific and highly effective reading strategies in action … Receive a complete K-2 or 3-5 video DVD training package with ALL the video clips for use during your own school or district trainings
- Build reading comprehension instruction expertise among your staff to meet and exceed the Common Core State Standards
- Receive critical information on how to deliver high-quality, engaging and effective Common Core State Standards reading instruction training sessions
- Ideal for schools and districts looking to create a core team of trainers to provide training to build and sustain a model, state-of-the-art reading program that incorporates the Common Core State Standards (each potential trainer should have experience teaching reading)
What’s unique about this National Train-the-Trainer Institute
- Four days of intensive training combining classroom-proven strategies and video clips of the reading strategies in action – show rather than tell your teachers what successful reading comprehension instruction to meet the Common Core State Standards looks like in real classrooms
- National Reading Experts Mary Beth Allen and Denise Gudwin will provide a comprehensive, interactive and research-based training to prepare participants to guide other teachers in the implementation of a successful reading instructional program that meets the Common Core State Standards for reading comprehension in grades K-5
- Work and collaborate in small groups with BER instructors to expand and enhance your understanding of the reading Common Core State Standards specific to grades K-2 or 3-5
- Gain numerous tips and ideas to prepare and deliver high-quality staff training to begin, build on, or sustain an effective and successful Common Core State Standards reading program in your school or district. You'll leave with copies of all the resources including all video clips needed for training educators at their specific grade level
- Unique and ideal opportunity for schools and districts to turn staff members into skilled, knowledgeable reading instructional trainers who can train and support other teachers in the effective implementation of the reading comprehension Common Core State Standards
Participants attending will learn the key components for a successful reading comprehension program that meets the Common Core State Standards which can then be delivered as a staff development framework that fits the schedule according to each school or district's unique training needs. The following components are included in this four-day train-the-trainer institute.
Increase the Reading Achievement of All Your Students through Powerful Strategies that Align with the Common Core State Standards
- Techniques to scaffold your students for close reading of literature and informational text to greatly increase their comprehension skills as they move to more complex text
- Demonstration of the Gradual Release of Responsibility to teach students how to use comprehension strategies independently to grow as readers
- Easy to integrate strategies for teaching informational texts including how to ask and answer questions, identify main ideas and details, determine author's purpose, compare and contrast points of view, make inferences, and draw conclusions
- Classroom-proven ways to teach students to summarize, compare and contrast stories and characters, identify point of view, and determine themes in literature
Manage and Organize Your Daily Reading Program to Support Attainment of the Common Core State Standards for Reading Comprehension
- Key components for an effective reading program that incorporates the Common Core State Standards
- Ways to work smarter, not harder to efficiently plan, organize and manage your reading program to make the best use of your reading time and increase students' success on Common Core State Standards
- Assessment strategies that give you the feedback you need to make sound instructional decisions and meet students at their level of need, whether they are struggling readers or more advanced
- Ideas to help you scaffold your students by providing the appropriate level of challenge for your struggling students to the high achievers
Video Clips of Reading Instruction in Action to Demonstrate Highly Effective Teaching Strategies – Real Teachers in Real Classrooms!
- Best practices for using video training clips to train others
- Show, rather than tell, your teachers what good teaching looks like using video clips that focus on specific reading comprehension strategies
- Outstanding training tips and resource kit to train others (each participant will receive all video clips specific to their grade level to use in their training)
Receive Comprehensive Training Resources (Valued at Over $550!)
All participants will receive a valuable package of resources including:
Seminar Schedule Overview
Program Schedule: 8:30 A.M. – 3:30 P.M. Daily
Mary Beth Allen is an outstanding presenter with many years of experience in reading and writing instruction in grades K-5. Mary Beth shares research-based strategies that intentionally align with the Common Core State Standards for reading, along with specific interventions for problematic areas students experience when learning to read and reading to learn. She is the author of several books including the co-author of Guided Comprehension and is featured in the video series that will be used in this four-day institute. Mary Beth is known for her lively, fast-paced presentations that are filled with countless ideas, practical strategies and activities you can use immediately in your classroom and with your staff.
|| Denise Gudwin is an acclaimed teacher, author and outstanding nationally recognized presenter in the area of reading and the Common Core State Standards. Experienced as a classroom teacher, teacher trainer and as an administrator of professional development, Denise brings 34 years of experience working in literacy instruction for all students from the struggling to high achieving. Denise’s presentations are highly practical and filled with creative, innovative reading instructional strategies and assessments that align with the Common Core State Standards and can be adapted to meet the needs of your students and teachers.
State Specific Credit:
You may be eligible for professional development credit through your state. For state specific information, please visit http://www.ber.org/seminars/credit/ceus.cfm or call 1-800-735-3503.
University Credit Option:
Up to four graduate level professional development credits are available with an additional fee and completion of a follow-up practicum project. Details for direct enrollment with Brandman University, part of the Chapman University system, will be available at the institute.
SAVE with Group Discounts
The fee is $1395 per person.
If groups of three or more register at the same time, the fee is $1295 per person.
Hotel Chicago Downtown
333 North Dearborn Street • Chicago, IL 60654
$175 (single or double) plus tax – King Superior and Double Superior Rooms
- Book your overnight accommodations by April 6, 2014 to receive these special rates, based on availability. To make reservations, please call 1-877-569-3742 and request the group rate for "Bureau of Education & Research: Train-the-Trainer Institute".
Enjoy all that Chicago has to offer
The meeting site is within walking distance to some of the best restaurants, shopping, sightseeing, museums, and nightlife in downtown Chicago. The hotel is steps away from Navy Pier, The Magnificent Mile and much more! There's no need to rent a car with so many attractions within walking distance. Shuttles are available from Chicago's airports to the hotel site.