Improving the Reading Skills of ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNERS:
Practical Strategies for Strengthening Reading Comprehension, Vocabulary and Fluency
Specifically Designed for Grades K-6 Educators Serving ELL/ESL Students Within the Regular Classroom Setting
Classroom-tested, research-based comprehension strategies specifically designed for ELL/ESL students
- Dozens of useful reading strategies, which will help support the specific needs of ELL/ESL students
- Practical tips and techniques for meeting the needs of regular classroom teachers whose students are both native and non-native speakers
- Displays, student examples, video clips of reading instruction in action, plus a comprehensive resource handbook packed with lessons, activities, ideas, and research strategies crucial for ELL/ESL students in grades K-6
Practical Ideas and Strategies
What are the best ways to help our ELL/ESL students develop the necessary vocabulary, comprehension and fluency skills to successfully speak, read and write in English? If you desire practical ideas, strategies and techniques to strengthen the vocabulary, comprehension and fluency of your ELL/ESL students, we invite you to join Cheryl Sweeney for this idea-packed seminar.
This seminar is designed to help grades K-6 teachers within the regular classroom strengthen the reading comprehension, vocabulary development and reading fluency of ELL/ESL students. Cheryl is an internationally recognized seminar presenter, author, award-winning educator, and outstanding consultant to teachers. She will share dozens of practical research-based ideas for strengthening comprehension, increasing vocabulary development and improving fluency and content area reading skills with your ELL/ESL students.
You will experience dozens of classroom-proven activities to help you better support the wide range of ELL/ESL students in your classroom. To enhance the usefulness of this seminar, you will leave with an idea-packed resource handbook filled with ready-to-implement strategies, processes, skills development techniques, and materials that will provide you with years of support.
Ten Key Benefits of Attending
Understand Implications of the Most Current Scientific Research as it Applies to Instruction for ELL/ESL Students
Receive a wide variety of practical research-based reading strategies that will help your ELL/ESL students easily process and comprehend content area text and concepts
- Explore Skills Development Techniques Based on Best Practices to Increase Comprehension, Fluency and Vocabulary Development
Learn research-based and classroom-tested strategies and processes to empower your ELL/ESL students with the essential tools for making meaning out of what they read
- Expand Your Collection of Instructional Strategies for Processing Narrative and Informational Text
Help your ELL/ESL students acquire essential content literacy and strategic reading skills … Learn how to help your ELL/ESL students make connections between text and their own personal experiences
- Learn How to Integrate Comprehension Instruction into Your Direct Instruction
Acquire proven strategies for making literature, content area lessons and materials more accessible and meaningful … Teach your ELL/ESL students to use the comprehension strategies that proficient readers use
- Teach New Vocabulary and Strengthen Word Study Skills
Utilize powerful strategies that accelerate vocabulary acquisition … Incorporate the most current research to strengthen the vocabulary development of your ELL/ESL students
- Effective Teaching Strategies that Promote Content Area Literacy for ELL/ESL Students
Integrate strategic reading and study skills throughout the day … Teach ELL/ESL students explicit comprehension strategies which will promote better understanding of content area information when reading a variety of texts
- Apply Powerful Reading Strategies to a Variety of Text Structures
Tips for applying the most appropriate reading strategies to a variety of informational text structures … Learn how to make texts more attainable, scaffold vocabulary and deal with content-specific words
- Strengthen the Reading Fluency of Your ELL/ESL Students
Explore a variety of research-based, highly motivating strategies to strengthen the reading fluency of your ELL/ESL students
- Identify Strategies that Support Small and Whole Group Instruction
Explore whole class, as well as small group structures, designed to improve your ELL/ESL students’ reading comprehension
- Receive an Extensive Instruction Resource Handbook
The extensive instruction resource handbook you receive not only will guide your learning during the seminar, but also will provide you with a wealth of information to use beyond the seminar
Outstanding Strategies You Can Use Immediately
How to help your ELL/ESL students develop a rich repertoire of research-based comprehension, fluency, vocabulary development strategies, and skills development techniques
- Dozens of highly effective literacy strategies for accelerating the academic success of your ELL/ESL students
- How to identify key words and concepts in content area materials as a tool for helping your ELL/ESL students more effectively comprehend text
- Proven strategies to help your ELL/ESL students work more successfully with narrative and informational text materials
- Ready-to-use instructional strategies that will save you time and are easy to implement
- Proven scientific research-based strategies for building reading fluency as a tool for improving reading comprehension with ELL/ESL students
- How to design highly effective literature and content area-based lessons that maximize independence, increase motivation and deepen understanding
- Seven essential techniques to strengthen ELL students’ reading skills
- Effective teaching strategies that focus on meaning, increase background knowledge, use cooperative and collaborative groups, and encourage oral dialogue
- How to work smarter, not harder while implementing standards-based reading instruction with ELL/ESL students
- Powerful ideas for using graphic organizers across all curriculum areas to increase comprehension
- Innovative methods for teaching note taking and study skills to improve comprehension and vocabulary with ELL/ESL students
- Pre, during and post-reading ideas that empower your ELL/ESL students to read strategically with deeper comprehension
A Message From Your Seminar Leader
It is not idle rhetoric to say that in order to be successful in school and competitive in today’s job market it is essential that one become a competent and confident reader. Children deserve the best education possible, regardless of where they live, what language they speak, how much money their families have, their ethnicity, or skin color. That is the dream and belief upon which the U.S. educational system is built. Sadly, the achievement gap between native English speakers and ELL/ESL students is widening each year and the population of non-native speakers entering our schools continues to increase. What can we do to address this and begin to close the achievement gap?
Becoming a successful, competent reader is a powerful indicator of school and future success. Current research has provided us with more knowledge than ever before in our history about how one becomes a successful reader, and we must make sure that we are aware of and use these powerful educational strategies with all the students in our classrooms.
Researchers remind us that many students experiencing difficulties with reading are ELL/ESL students, yet the different needs of these students are not always considered, nor are their needs incorporated into explicit skills lessons when teaching reading strategies. It is therefore imperative that teachers avail themselves not only of knowledge concerning best practices for ELL/ESL students, but also of current research findings in the area of reading.
This seminar is designed to address these issues and provide information and strategies for the classroom teacher who works on a daily basis within a diverse classroom of learners. The resource handbook will provide you with many useful ideas, strategies and activities to help all your students become strong readers and individuals who know they can be successful in school and in the world.
I look forward to sharing many wonderful reading strategies and activities with you. You’ll leave this seminar armed with practical teaching strategies, energized, excited, and ready to embrace the diversity that exists in today’s classroom communities!
P.S. The focus of this seminar will be on practical, classroom-tested strategies proven successful to help your ELL/ESL students strengthen their reading abilities.
Who Should Attend
Educators serving grades K-6: Classroom Teachers, ELL/ESL and Title I Resource Teachers, Reading Specialists, Instructional Aides, Student Teachers, Teacher Trainers, and Administrators.
Special Benefits of Attending
Extensive Resource Handbook
You will receive an extensive K-6 resource handbook specifically designed for this seminar. Included in the handbook are:
Practical, research-based findings that focus on comprehension strategies for ELL/ESL students
- Tips and techniques for meeting the needs of regular classroom teachers whose students are both native and non-native speakers
- Dozens of useful reading strategies, which will help support all your students with identification of specific needs for ELL/ESL students
Sample Materials On Display
Participants will have the opportunity to view student samples and classroom-tested learning activities.
Cheryl Sweeney will be available at the seminar for consultation regarding your questions about the unique needs of your ESL program.
On-Site Training Guarantee
BER is not a booking agency that just finds a presenter who presents on the topic you requested. Rather, we only recommend highly experienced BER presenters who have consistently received outstanding evaluations from educators attending their trainings.
Consequently, we provide a strong program guarantee.
We guarantee you’ll be fully satisfied or you’ll owe us nothing after your on-site training event.